AMD Staging Another Fix To Try Correcting Some Raven Ridge Systems On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    Actually Plasma Wayland will not load anymore with my Ryzen 3 2200G. And on my HP Envy x360 the Ryzen 5 2500U Linux >= 4.20 will not boot at all. I really hope AMD will provide some fixes, but I would like to see at least options to load problematic functionalities.
    Pretty much in the same boat! Part of my problem is in fact BIOS related but it seems to be near impossible to update the BIOS on these machines. This after taking months of internet searches to find the magic formula.

What is frustrating here here is that I’ve been involved with computers since the mid 1970’s and have never had such a terrible time with vendor supplied BIOS utilities!!! This is an HP problem. AMD gets some blame but frankly HP has soured my opinion of the badly. I suspect my next laptop will be a Dell or off brand device.

Comment

My wife's Acer Swift 3 (Ryzen 7 2700U) has been running on 5.0.9-2.g7bd8353-default with OpenSUSE 15.0 for a while with no problems recently. That's using the Kernel:/stable/standard repo though rather than the stock kernel. I'm going to update to 15.1 this weekend but and dropping down to kernel 4.12 seems like a bad idea so I'll see how I fare with something newer.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Pretty much in the same boat! Part of my problem is in fact BIOS related but it seems to be near impossible to update the BIOS on these machines. This after taking months of internet searches to find the magic formula.

What is frustrating here here is that I’ve been involved with computers since the mid 1970’s and have never had such a terrible time with vendor supplied BIOS utilities!!! This is an HP problem. AMD gets some blame but frankly HP has soured my opinion of the badly. I suspect my next laptop will be a Dell or off brand device.
        I don't know about your particular model, but recent HP BIOSes can self-update over ethernet, or you can create a USB key with the Windows utility you download from their site. I've been able to keep my relatively old Elitebook 755 G2 up-to-date this way.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

I don't know about your particular model, but recent HP BIOSes can self-update over ethernet, or you can create a USB key with the Windows utility you download from their site. I've been able to keep my relatively old Elitebook 755 G2 up-to-date this way.
          Yes. But for that HP has to release an updated BIOS. And they won't because new BIOS doesn't play well with their ancient GPU drivers for Windows that they are refusing to update.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Probably more correct to say "calling your car a tricycle when the dealer ships it to you with a wheel missing so you can use your car until the dealer sends you a new wheel" (SBIOS fix).

It has always been hard to make car analogies work well with computer hardware
            Is there any way AMD can push a certain company that released Envy series to finally update their bios?

For my machine they released F.19 version with updates, then removed it, released F.20 version without fixes and then removed it too, without leaving any option to downgrade to either F.19 or even to recommended F.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
              Well actually we should count our blessings that Intel/AMD/NVidia even bother to write drivers for an OS with such a small desktop market share ...
              That small desktop share is not so small anymore, especially considering developers as influencers (trend view).

The 2019 StackOverflow Developer Survey measured Linux desktop share as 25% of developers (as their primary operating system).

IT departments at my last two projects (both big financial organizations) have just allowed using Linux as primary OS for their developers due to growing pressure from the technology side (Docker and Kubernetes and the server park migration to Linux).

This is definitely not a great time to loosen up Linux support for any hardware vendors.

Comment

Yeah car analogies are a blunt tool, but I want to keep up with an ancient and proud tradition
                Yep, that is an excellent reason. Carry on

I see your point, but don't you provide your partners with validation tools and/or a certification program? Why wasn't this caught before it hit the market?
                Put simply, we haven't found a way to get OEMs interested in Linux for anything but servers and embedded systems.

I initially thought it would be as simple as getting server departments to understand that they needed to beat on laptop departments to get the right support, but the missing link in most companies seems to be the realization that developer perception of a HW vendor factors into purchase decisions for servers.

Out here in the real world it's kinda obvious that developers are going to be using laptops and consumer desktop systems for most of their work and so that hardware needs to run the same OSes as will be used for deployment on servers, but most large companies seem to have enough separation between "laptop department", "consumer desktop department" and "server department" to make the connection difficult to see.

It's unfortunate that one of the few executives who *did* seem to understand this connection (Steve Ballmer) wasn't a big Linux fan, was focused on SW rather than HW, and didn't talk about the connection in a sufficiently restrained fashion for other execs to listen.
                Last edited by bridgman; 25 May 2019, 02:19 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post

I can't boot on anything over 4.19. I was wondering have you tried 5.2 yet, does it work?
                  Everything up to Linux 5.1.4 on Arch Linux doesn't boot with the Ryzen 5 2500U for me either and I have to stick to Linux 4.19 LTS. I didn't compile Linux 5.2 from git to test.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Everything up to Linux 5.1.4 on Arch Linux doesn't boot with the Ryzen 5 2500U for me either and I have to stick to Linux 4.19 LTS. I didn't compile Linux 5.2 from git to test.
                    You can try moving /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_dmcu.bin to different location and updating initramfs. Works for me on Envy x360 with Ryzen 5 2500U, and i'm using on 5.1.4 kernel right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                      My wife's Acer Swift 3 (Ryzen 7 2700U) has been running on 5.0.9-2.g7bd8353-default with OpenSUSE 15.0 for a while with no problems recently. That's using the Kernel:/stable/standard repo though rather than the stock kernel. I'm going to update to 15.1 this weekend but and dropping down to kernel 4.12 seems like a bad idea so I'll see how I fare with something newer.
                      Then run openSUSE 15.1 + Kernel:stable as with your former.
                      I do this for ~26 Jahres, now. Appart the times I'm running upstream/devel stuff ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X