No announcement yet.

AMD Staging Another Fix To Try Correcting Some Raven Ridge Systems On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My RR laptop works great with kernel 4.19 but also with later series but i do need some ivrs overrides.
    I don't seem to need i2c-amd-mp2 anymore after i installed it and later removed it.
    I do have have problems with brightness via functionkeys running a kernel with subevel lower than .37
    Other then that it works great and stable.
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 24 May 2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
      Edge cases and issues like this are the things that destroy all the other contributions to the divers they put out.
      Yeah the poor state of amdgpu mobile support, the ignored polaris flickering problem, gpu reset failing etc, really drain enthusiasm for their graphics lineup on Linux.

Comment

Does a list exist to show the boards with "good" or "bad" system BIOS?

At least we should be able to avoid buying from "bad" manufacturers - even when not buying Raven Ridge systems :-)

Comment

I guess I've been lucky, my 2400g is on Linux 5.1.4, Mesa 19.1.3 RC3, llvm 8.0.0, and the worst I've experienced was some GPU hangs while playing Batman Arkham City which did not occur when I used my RX570 card. I've never encountered my system refusing to boot.

I would like to see GPU reset enabled, and working.

I'm still planning to jump on a 3600g when they're available, presuming they don't do nasty things like burn my house down or force me to use Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            Actually Plasma Wayland will not load anymore with my Ryzen 3 2200G. And on my HP Envy x360 the Ryzen 5 2500U Linux >= 4.20 will not boot at all. I really hope AMD will provide some fixes, but I would like to see at least options to load problematic functionalities.
            Which distribution do you use? I also have a HP Envy x360 Ryzen 2500U cp0xxx updated BIOS to F35 running stable on Fedora 30 Workstation with kernel 5.0.17 soon to move to 5.1.4 and Mesa 19.0.5. Current unresolved issues on AMD side are the missing driver for the screen autorotation in tablet position, smoother boot as found on Intel based laptops and full support of Vega8 on ROCm part.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
              Yeah the poor state of amdgpu mobile support, the ignored polaris flickering problem, gpu reset failing etc, really drain enthusiasm for their graphics lineup on Linux.
              There's been plenty of problems with AMD support. Always surprises me when nvidia gets a tonne of hate for proprietary graphics and many chime in and promote AMD as a painfree solution without the problems. Sure on DEs like KDE, there are a few known issues with nvidia non-free drivers, but at least you don't have to hesitate with a purchase wondering if you can boot or not :\ (or worse, you buy it and realize after you can't boot or other numerous issues after).

Not knocking AMD and praising nvidia here, they both have their positives and negatives(many which are temporal). Hopefully the Navi based products go much more smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Probably more correct to say "calling your car a tricycle when the dealer ships it to you with a wheel missing so you can use your car until the dealer sends you a new wheel" (SBIOS fix).

It has always been hard to make car analogies work well with computer hardware
                Yeah car analogies are a blunt tool, but I want to keep up with an ancient and proud tradition

I see your point, but don't you provide your partners with validation tools and/or a certification program? Why wasn't this caught before it hit the market?

Comment

Well actually we should count our blessings that Intel/AMD/NVidia even bother to write drivers for an OS with such a small desktop market share ...
                  Last edited by Raka555; 25 May 2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                    Edge cases and issues like this are the things that destroy all the other contributions to the divers they put out.

On Intel systems, you would not have to pick being able to boot or functionality.
                    No on Intel you would be forced to choose between advertised performance or possibly a 10 to 30% hit. Processor problems aren’t unique to AMD and lately they impact users less than other solutions.

Frankly i find the occasional glitches easier to take on the AMD side because I’m still get most of what is advertised, a better GPU, and strong open source support. I also can pin all blame on AMD for poor BIOS support from a manufacture.

Comment

Working...
                    X