AMD Radeon VII Linux Performance vs. NVIDIA Gaming On Ubuntu For Q2'2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon VII Linux Performance vs. NVIDIA Gaming On Ubuntu For Q2'2019

Phoronix: AMD Radeon VII Linux Performance vs. NVIDIA Gaming On Ubuntu For Q2'2019

It's been three months now since the AMD Radeon VII 7nm "Vega 20" graphics card was released and while we hopefully won't be waiting much longer for Navi to make its debut, for the time being this is the latest and great AMD Radeon consumer graphics card -- priced at around $700 USD. Here are some fresh benchmarks of the Radeon VII on Linux and compared to various high-end NVIDIA graphics cards while all testing happened from Ubuntu 19.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'd be cool to see the fps per dollar in a summary/geomean chart. It looks like on that front, the Radeon Vega 64 is hard to beat.

Comment

Michael if I tip you, can you try to undervolt the card and check the perf/watt? I read elsewhere that VII undervolts well, I would love to check that here on phoronix

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        Michael if I tip you, can you try to undervolt the card and check the perf/watt? I read elsewhere that VII undervolts well, I would love to check that here on phoronix
        Have details on the voltages you'd be after? Or are you referring to the power capping (if that in effect achieves same solution for what you're after)?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Seems like pretty solid results so far. If the Navi 3090 or whatever it'll be called ends up outperforming the Radeon VII in games while costing at least $200 less, that'll be a convincing sale for me.

Comment

Good to see that Radeon 7 is competitive with GTX 2080. Let's hope Navi cards will be competitive with 2070 and will be more affordable than Radeon 7.

Comment

Sticking with my 1080TI MINI card for the foreseeable future, if NAVI 20 comes in small form factor I may consider it.

I feel if the Rad7 was a 8gb card for cheaper it might have been allot better, but HBM2 limitations don't allow that (bandwidth wise).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Have details on the voltages you'd be after? Or are you referring to the power capping (if that in effect achieves same solution for what you're after)?
                1800Mhz@950mv

Also try for none of the individual pstates to go beyond 950mv.

Comment

It would also be nice to see more games that are either free, or demo versions that we could all just get them and run them for the benchmarks. xonotic and unigine are free, but I think those were the only ones.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
                    It would also be nice to see more games that are either free, or demo versions that we could all just get them and run them for the benchmarks. xonotic and unigine are free, but I think those were the only ones.

Thanks
                    Unfortunately there aren't many Linux games with demos let alone benchmark-friendly ones. As for the free games, Xonotic and Unigine are about the most demanding. OpenArena / Tesseract / etc hardly tax modern GPUs these days besides driver comparisons. And not aware of any other visual demanding ones that are benchmark friendly.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X