Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
    Why doesn't Valve fix the game?
    Because it's a driver-specific issue, not a game-specific issue. It's really just coincidence that CS:GO happens to make it noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Ditto with my 580, Manjaro, and KDE.
      That's weird, I'm using R7 250, Fedora, Gnome and haven't noticed any serious issues with GLAMOR.
      This might be a hardware issue imo.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post

That's weird, I'm using R7 250, Fedora, Gnome and haven't noticed any serious issues with GLAMOR.
        This might be a hardware issue imo.
        Oh no, I was agreeing with boxie about it being rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Because it's a driver-specific issue, not a game-specific issue. It's really just coincidence that CS:GO happens to make it noticeable.
          If it is a driver specific issue why they are adding a game specific workaround in the driver?

Comment

OpenGL makes no guarantees about the value of uninitialized buffers. If an app relies on some specific value, it's relying on implementation specific behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              If it is a driver specific issue why they are adding a game specific workaround in the driver?
              The workaround is game specific but the actual fix isn't (at least not to my understanding). The article mentions other games that can be affected by it and I'm sure there are more. The thing is, most games were coded in a manner where this problem wasn't exploited/noticeable. It's generally a non-issue, but just because it's rare, that doesn't necessarily mean the game itself is at fault.

Comment

Michael
                setting the AMD_DEBUG=zerovram environment variable.
                Unless they're running it from git, it's still R600_DEBUG with Mesa 19.0 and under.

Comment

I have hundreds of hours on CSGO with an RX580 using mesa and never experienced this.

Comment

The workaround is game specific but the actual fix isn't (at least not to my understanding). The article mentions other games that can be affected by it and I'm sure there are more. The thing is, most games were coded in a manner where this problem wasn't exploited/noticeable. It's generally a non-issue, but just because it's rare, that doesn't necessarily mean the game itself is at fault.
                    You are an idiot and didn't listen to the issue. The game uses uninitialized buffers for data. The driver, in 0 cases for any reason, should be initing them to any value. That is 100% the apps responsibility to clear any buffer allocated if needed or not. The game chooses to or not to, and it's the only thing that should decide, as some buffers it isn't needed to init on allocation. It's rare because any developer worth their pay knows better than to use a buffer that isn't initialized. It means the game it's self is 1000% at fault. Period. No questions. It's actual moronic talk to suggest anything otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                      You are an idiot and didn't listen to the issue. The game uses uninitialized buffers for data. The driver, in 0 cases for any reason, should be initing them to any value. That is 100% the apps responsibility to clear any buffer allocated if needed or not. The game chooses to or not to, and it's the only thing that should decide, as some buffers it isn't needed to init on allocation. It's rare because any developer worth their pay knows better than to use a buffer that isn't initialized. It means the game it's self is 1000% at fault. Period. No questions. It's actual moronic talk to suggest anything otherwise.
                      Calm your tits.

As the article stated, the assumed default behavior of the driver is to zero out VRAM allocations. While you could argue it's lazy code for Valve to not do this themselves, the reason that behavior is the default is to make up for user errors. Seeing as Valve isn't the only one who does this, it's no wonder why the Windows drivers defaulted this behavior. So no, they're not "1000% at fault", they're just mildly at fault and arguably negligent. Seriously, it's not a big deal, especially not as big as you're making it out to be. Meanwhile, let's see your flawless code, eh?

Next time, don't user juvenile exaggerations to make your point - it doesn't make you more right, you just look like a jackass.

Comment

Working...
                      X