No announcement yet.

More AMD Radeon "Navi" Code Continues Landing In LLVM For Its Compiler Backend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AMD Radeon "Navi" Code Continues Landing In LLVM For Its Compiler Backend

Phoronix: More AMD Radeon "Navi" Code Continues Landing In LLVM For Its Compiler Backend

While we haven't yet spotted any of the other AMD Radeon "Navi" next-generation GPU support in the other software components making up AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver stack, there continues to be a lot of work happening on the AMDGPU LLVM shader compiler back-end within the mainline LLVM code-base. In fact, there's been over eleven thousand lines of new code so far pertaining to Navi/GFX10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lets hope they manage launchday support again
    if Navi holds up to the hopes (around RTX2060-2070) i'll surely pick one up

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
      lets hope they manage launchday support again
      if Navi holds up to the hopes (around RTX2060-2070) i'll surely pick one up
      I was very close to buying a RX580, but Navi's news on Phoronix helped me be a little more patient. If Navi is in that range (performance, price, ideally better effiency but that's wishfull thinking) I'll definitely buy one too ! Mostly because AMD's open-source driver support is something I want to support and see more of...

Comment

It's nice to see Navi needs so much code specific to it. To me, that suggests it isn't just a small incremental upgrade.

Comment

I'm hoping that Navi will be as significant to AMD as Polaris was, 2019~2020 will be a great time to upgrade desktop, laptop, workstation, everything AMD

Comment

AMD has to move more graphics card in laptops. It is lacking there and it's a very big chunk of the market.
            That means it has to make cool and quiet but reasonably powerful chip.
            And also push for Laptop Manufacturers to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
              AMD has to move more graphics card in laptops. It is lacking there and it's a very big chunk of the market.
              That means it has to make cool and quiet but reasonably powerful chip.
              And also push for Laptop Manufacturers to use them.
              THIS, 100% THIS

I'm looking for a new laptop, but it is impossible to find one high-end AMD combo here in my country, I'll have to import it elsewhere, and the max that I can find is a Ryzen 3750H paired with Nvidia dGPU

Comment

I'm looking for either an Intel or AMD CPU pared with a Navi GPU. I was disappointed that there weren't any Vega ones, that weren't just rebranded Polaris or APUs

Comment

Yeah, not counting the few desktop replacements (a.k.a. really fat laptops), the highest end GPU AMD has in laptops is the RX 560X - a GTX 1050/1050Ti equivalent. Those, I would say, are surprisingly decent laptops though.
                  Hopefully Navi brings something more powerful.

Comment

Indeed, more competition in the notebook market is badly needed. The dominance of Nvidia and Intel drove price levels way up during the last seven years. I hope that AMD's new chiplet approach helps them to bring prices down and a faster time to market. Currently they lack a year behind their desktop offerings.

Comment

Working...
                    X