More AMD Radeon "Navi" Code Continues Landing In LLVM For Its Compiler Backend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

RX 570 has better value per dollar if you need a GPU card now. I doubt that RX 3080 costs 250 usd, over 500 usd more likely. Let us hope that mining hype has disappeared.
    The RX3080 is projected to be just a hair faster than a Vega64 and slower than Radeon VII that will require it's price to be below $350... otherwise just buy a Vega56/64. Navi is supposed to be the low cost Polaris replacement... that will be replacing everything except perhaps the very lowest end cards and Radeon VII... we will have to wait for the successor to the high end cards probably Q1 or 2 2020.

If Navi isn't cheaper than Vega56 ... then what was the point?
    Last edited by cb88; 03 May 2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Being better than Vega56, surely? 😸

Of course, it might just be to help government surveillance of code running in the GPU, what with its new 'NSA' encoding. 😹

Personally I'd be fine with essentially what we have but using 40% less power, because that means more headroom, especially for the APUs.

Clearly judging by the bug definitions there are some things in the new revision of the architecture that didn't quite work out the first time around, so maybe it's best that said APUs aren't in this release.

Comment

AMD certainly does need to mandate the rollout of laptop configs to manufacturers. Just dumping a IP license and chip on them is not working. If I see another ryzen apu with 1 stick of ram and a glued on intel shitbox heatsink, I'm going to scream. Get Sony on their asses, AMD. Whip it out and slap them with your pimp hand before they sink your mobile designs permanently.
        Last edited by ThoreauHD; 03 May 2019, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

RX 570 has better value per dollar if you need a GPU card now. I doubt that RX 3080 costs 250 usd, over 500 usd more likely. Let us hope that mining hype has disappeared.
          Thanks, it was because of a really nice discount that I would have bought a RX580, but I assume that if Navi isn't up to snuff, RX570&RX580 won't be pricier then...

Comment

Originally posted by TazKhaelyor View Post

I was very close to buying a RX580, but Navi's news on Phoronix helped me be a little more patient. If Navi is in that range (performance, price, ideally better effiency but that's wishfull thinking) I'll definitely buy one too ! Mostly because AMD's open-source driver support is something I want to support and see more of...
            That is exactly the reason why AMD (and everyone else) are so secretive about new product launches. It also has a name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
            Personally I don't think AMD is very good at that game, as they seem to announce new products years in advance (probably to please the stock market). And then the actual product launches are inevitably delayed...

Comment

I was very close to buying a RX580, but Navi's news on Phoronix helped me be a little more patient.
              I hope you're okay with waiting a while.

Comment

I was very close to buying a RX580, but Navi's news on Phoronix helped me be a little more patient. If Navi is in that range (performance, price, ideally better effiency but that's wishfull thinking) I'll definitely buy one too ! Mostly because AMD's open-source driver support is something I want to support and see more of...
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg-o1wtE-ww&t=1672s - the latest news from AdoredTV suggest that Navi had a hard time during its bringup. The specs and pricing seem still okay though.

Comment

Working...
                X