No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Has Another Round Of Updates Ahead Of Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm. Still no bulk moves. What is blocking it?

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post

I had a 390 and the displays would flicker due to clock changes. In particular, the lowest power state would cause it because I think that would also cause the memory clock to drop as well and for multiple monitors, you really need the clocks to stay a little higher than the lowest level. On my 390, the solution was to add the kernel flag amdgpu.dpm=1 which uses the newer powerplay code instead of the older code which would not only flicker, but would crash my machine. Before that, I would force clocks to high performance which hurts heat and power consumption, but worked.

With that said, I got a Vega 64 and it's a completely different story. I've had zero issues with the Vega card while driving a 4k and two 1080p displays. I haven't seen so much as a flicker with the newer GPU. I also don't tend to use Wayland either, but I don't get flickering with it, just some 3d applications don't like to run. All in all, Vega support is far better than support for Hawaii.
      afaik on Polaris dpm=1 is default. I'd love to run it at full memory clock reliably but even for that I need workarounds for anything that trigger modesets since any clock changes reset then (resolution changes, display on/off, .sleep/suspend, X session restart etc). So I have 3 stupid options: hook all those edge cases, constantly flood sysfs with mclock changes (which triggers random hangs) or constantly poll the mclock and fix it when it resets.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
        <rant>
        Every bug I´ve had reported by me and others requires constant begging to get any fix, meanwhile we constantly see a lot of work on the driver which means those issues that should be blockers have no priority at all for the dev team. It´s not an edge case by any means, just search the words "AMD flickering" on linux subreddits and there are literally dozens of reports about it every month. I see people with APU's complaining a lot also, and Vega.
        Yeah it's pretty ridiculous at this point, but I don't think the kernel developers are ignoring these issues because they just don't care. Rather I strongly believe that management behind the scenes is (as usual) driving priorities and is focusing on new hardware enablement. It's very possible that the developers are not given any time to work on (critical) longstanding issues like this, so they can only do give attention to them in their spare time.

Comment

Two words: Navi enablement??

Comment

Sitting here with my RX 580 at 100% default settings wondering what i did so right to have no issues....

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
              Two words: Navi enablement??
              They almost certainly have it in fairly decent shape, but they can't post it publicly until they get the green light from higher up.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                They almost certainly have it in fairly decent shape, but they can't post it publicly until they get the green light from higher up.
                I certainly hope so. From the phoronix coverage- when Vega launched it was a pain to get working, RX 590 didn't work, Radeon 7 worked at first but then regressed. Hope they do a better job with Navi.

Also on the Vulkan side I guess RadV will lag behind amdvlk initially since the RadV developers at RedHat/Valve don't have access to early silicon.

Comment

I had great response from AMD on all my previous Carrizo issues so I just assumed it would be even better on my Vega 56 in the Acer predator Helios 500. I guess we will see....
                  I am running Kubuntu 18.10. This is the PH517-61 Acer Predator Helios 500 with the Ryzen processor. My first issue I need to deal with is Suspend. I have temporarily disabled suspend in the kcmshell5 configuration. If I do let the laptop suspend and then hit the keyboard I get what appears to be a 1950s TV with no signal. At this point I manually power down and then power up again and am able to view things on screen. Running these commands I get this information: $ journalctl -b -g suspend ...

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
                    <rant>

[...]

</rant>
                    I've seen massive flickering only with dual monitors and amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff boot option on my RX 470. Eliminating any of this gave me a flicker-free experience.

Comment

Yesterday I got my hands on a (single) 144hz freesync monitor.
                      ​​​​​​​Pluged it in and got an flickering nightmare. Tried with DVI, HDMI and DP. No luck.

Deleted amd* boot options and all work! Got 144hz w freesync now
                      ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X