Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 Release Candidate

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 Release Candidate

It's been nearly six months since xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 was released, but we're finally nearing a new version of this open-source ATI driver. David Airlie has announced the release of the first xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 release candidate. Presented in the first xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 release candidate (v6.9.0.91) are several new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the same driver that behaves so badly with Fedora 9 and a Radeon 9550!

I tried this driver this morning and it made my Xorg process spin uselessly on a CPU when I tried to login. This might have been due to

Code:
    Option "EXAVSync" "on"
    (I can recheck.)

For reference, I am running Fedora 9 with a vanilla 2.6.27.10 kernel on a dual P4 Xeon machine with HT enabled and with 2 GB RAM.

And yes, I can use this driver successfully provided EXAVSync is "off". So there's obviously still a problem with vsync and Radeon 9550s.
    Last edited by chrisr; 22 December 2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

i wonder whether my bug ( http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18911 ) will get resolved in time for 6.9.1. i'm often having mysterious problems with opensource ati driver between releases.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 Release Candidate
        Why 6.9.1 and not 6.10.0?

Comment

error when i compile latest driver:

In file included from /usr/include/X11/dri/xf86dri.h:43,
          from /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:41,
          from radeon.h:75,
          from radeon_accel.c:79:
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:40:17: error: drm.h: No such file or directory
          In file included from /usr/include/X11/dri/xf86dri.h:43,
          from /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:41,
          from radeon.h:75,
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:241: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ?drm_context_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:254: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:515: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_magic_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:519: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:521: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:539: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_magic_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:541: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:545: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:546: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:547: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_context_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:548: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:554: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_context_t?
          /usr/include/xf86drm.h:555: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_context_t?
          In file included from radeon.h:75,
          /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:128: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_context_t?
          /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:132: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_context_t?
          /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:195: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ?drm_handle_t?
          /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:219: error: expected declaration specifiers or ?...? before ?drm_handle_t?

Comment

I'm not using something that not work good, like 'freezy' EXAVSync for now, i just tried and reverted... Really, as today i get rid of EXA also, and use old, good and stable XAA, which is only little slower in some areas. And driver works good, really good. What i only must put in Section "Device" is Option "AGPMode" "4".

@biasquez

Install 'libdrm-dev'.

P.S. And Happy New Year to anyone envolved in radeon driver developing , with best wishes for EXA this time next year.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              I'm not using something that not work good, like 'freezy' EXAVSync for now, i just tried and reverted... Really, as today i get rid of EXA also, and use old, good and stable XAA, which is only little slower in some areas. And driver works good, really good. What i only must put in Section "Device" is Option "AGPMode" "4".

@biasquez

Install 'libdrm-dev'.

P.S. And Happy New Year to anyone envolved in radeon driver developing , with best wishes for EXA this time next year.

libdrm-dev already installed...but reinstalling it, problem was fixed, thanks

Comment

I'm having a problem with 6.9.0.91 in conjunction with the latest xorg, mesa and drm builds from the xorg-edgers archive. Radeon driver build is from Tormod Volden's PPA, which "should" be compatible with the xorg-edgers packages.

This is on an X1550 PCIe card (R500) on Ubuntu Intrepid.

Installed relevant packages:

xorg-server - 2:1.5.3+git20081216+server-1.5-branch.4970d757-0ubuntu0tormod1
                drm-snapshot - 2.4.3+git20081216.c86d431f-0ubuntu0tormod1~intrepid
                mesa - 7.2+git20081202+mesa-7-2-branch.3433a188-0ubuntu0tormod4
                xserver-xorg-video-ati - 6.9.0.91+git20081224.631123d1-0ubuntu0tormod
                xserver-xorg-video-radeon - 6.9.0.91+git20081224.631123d1-0ubuntu0tormod

XAA works very well, though is somewhat slow. Switching to EXA (no other options) causes X to crash on boot. The system will load, X will launch, the desktop comes up, toolbars render, and then X crashes right when it would normally finish drawing desktop icons.

Has anyone else run into this? Or am I just too wackily bleeding-edge and it could be anything?

I'm going to try with a completely fresh default install of Intrepid and just update the driver to the new flavor, and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
                X