• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon VII stuttering in Wine games

Here's my system:

AMD Threadripper 1950x
    32gb 3200mhz RAM
    Radeon VII

I just upgraded from a 980Ti and although native linux games run flawlessly, I'm having problems in wine games that I did not have with the 980ti.

Any wine game that uses DirectX, whether wined3d or DXVK stutters. For example, in skyrim special edition (dxvk) it stutters when looking around or going to different areas. It's not the DXVK state cache as it happens in areas I've already been.

It seems to be a vram or ram issue because it's when looking around. Just siting looking at a scene is flawless, 60fps consistently, but looking around so objects that weren't on the screen now are, it often (not always) stutters and I see lower frametimes

Native Linux games work flawlessly, but any wine games. Stutter continuously. Even much older games which worked flawlessly on the 980ti like GTA3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 stutter when new areas load onto the screen.

I've tried setting /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level to high and it makes no difference.

It doesn't not seem to be a GPU performance issue as the same thing happens even when running Skyrim SE on low settings and running it on the 980ti previously with medium-high settings got me constant 60fps at 4k without any stuttering.

I don't believe it's a Wine issue because I'm using the same Wine version I was before. Any ideas why this might be happening?
Working...
X