Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current RADV/RadeonSI Performance With Mesa 19.1 + Linux 5.1

Phoronix: The Current RADV/RadeonSI Performance With Mesa 19.1 + Linux 5.1

Following this week's testing of the Radeon Linux gaming performance between Ubuntu 18.10 and 19.04, I also ran some benchmarks on the Ubuntu 19.04 when manually switching over to the bleeding-edge Mesa 19.1 RADV/RadeonSI drivers paired with the Linux 5.1 Git kernel. Is that worthwhile for "Disco Dingo" users to gain better AMD Linux gaming performance?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the benchmarks!
    I was wondering.. since NIR in RadeonSI will become default someday.. would it be a tedious job for you to add it as a 'default' comparison every time you run benchmarks with RadeonSI? To see how things progress over time and when is the time to switch?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      Hi Michael,

Thank you for the benchmarks!
      I was wondering.. since NIR in RadeonSI will become default someday.. would it be a tedious job for you to add it as a 'default' comparison every time you run benchmarks with RadeonSI? To see how things progress over time and when is the time to switch?
      I wish i benchmarked more to know if these mattered or not, but these are what I'm using and they work well so I figured I'd add them to the discussion. I have them in /etc/environment. All I know is that all of the games I'm playing right now give me 60fps smooth with mixed ultra settings @ 1080p with my 580 -- gotta turn down the AA, shadows, and sometimes shaders -- for example, setting the shaders above low makes Dirt Rally look ugly...too much damn blur and glare.

Code:
      # AMDGPU 16x anisotropic filtering
      export R600_TEX_ANISO=16

# AMD Debug options
      export AMD_DEBUG=sisched,nir,forcedma,unsafemath,llvm
      I have to agree with debianxfce on the AMD kernel comment.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        LLVM 8 in Oibaf ppa causes a performance hit. Driver software is developed in sync, so users should use latest everything: the AMD-wip kernel and Padoka ppa mesa git.
        I while I agree about mesa, I tend to prefer release kernels and maybe a late RC or 2

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I while I agree about mesa, I tend to prefer release kernels and maybe a late RC or 2
          Normally I do too, but with my AMD GPUs I've found it best to either run as much from git as possible or as much from stable as possible and not to really mix and match various components with the exception of AMDVLK.

Comment

Working...
          X