Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Current RADV/RadeonSI Performance With Mesa 19.1 + Linux 5.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Current RADV/RadeonSI Performance With Mesa 19.1 + Linux 5.1

    Phoronix: The Current RADV/RadeonSI Performance With Mesa 19.1 + Linux 5.1

    Following this week's testing of the Radeon Linux gaming performance between Ubuntu 18.10 and 19.04, I also ran some benchmarks on the Ubuntu 19.04 when manually switching over to the bleeding-edge Mesa 19.1 RADV/RadeonSI drivers paired with the Linux 5.1 Git kernel. Is that worthwhile for "Disco Dingo" users to gain better AMD Linux gaming performance?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....1-Ubuntu-1904

  • #2
    Hi Michael,

    Thank you for the benchmarks!
    I was wondering.. since NIR in RadeonSI will become default someday.. would it be a tedious job for you to add it as a 'default' comparison every time you run benchmarks with RadeonSI? To see how things progress over time and when is the time to switch?

    Comment


    • #3
      LLVM 8 in Oibaf ppa causes a performance hit. Driver software is developed in sync, so users should use latest everything: the AMD-wip kernel and Padoka ppa mesa git.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
        Hi Michael,

        Thank you for the benchmarks!
        I was wondering.. since NIR in RadeonSI will become default someday.. would it be a tedious job for you to add it as a 'default' comparison every time you run benchmarks with RadeonSI? To see how things progress over time and when is the time to switch?
        I wish i benchmarked more to know if these mattered or not, but these are what I'm using and they work well so I figured I'd add them to the discussion. I have them in /etc/environment. All I know is that all of the games I'm playing right now give me 60fps smooth with mixed ultra settings @ 1080p with my 580 -- gotta turn down the AA, shadows, and sometimes shaders -- for example, setting the shaders above low makes Dirt Rally look ugly...too much damn blur and glare.

        Code:
        # AMDGPU 16x anisotropic filtering
        export R600_TEX_ANISO=16
        
        # AMD Debug options
        export AMD_DEBUG=sisched,nir,forcedma,unsafemath,llvm
        I have to agree with debianxfce on the AMD kernel comment.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          LLVM 8 in Oibaf ppa causes a performance hit. Driver software is developed in sync, so users should use latest everything: the AMD-wip kernel and Padoka ppa mesa git.
          I while I agree about mesa, I tend to prefer release kernels and maybe a late RC or 2

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by boxie View Post

            I while I agree about mesa, I tend to prefer release kernels and maybe a late RC or 2
            Normally I do too, but with my AMD GPUs I've found it best to either run as much from git as possible or as much from stable as possible and not to really mix and match various components with the exception of AMDVLK.

            Comment

            Working...
            X