Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDVLK vs. RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver Performance For Linux Gaming On Ubuntu 19.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    Why not both?
    We can only speculate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Both have points, with a Google engineer working on RADV while AMD probably wants to support AMDVLK.
    Why not both?

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Teggs View Post
    Interesting that some people saw Google write 'working with AMD' and 'open-source driver', and assumed RADV. Others (like me) assumed AMDVLK. I wonder if anyone is allowed to tell us which is correct?
    Both have points, with a Google engineer working on RADV while AMD probably wants to support AMDVLK.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    Interesting that some people saw Google write 'working with AMD' and 'open-source driver', and assumed RADV. Others (like me) assumed AMDVLK. I wonder if anyone is allowed to tell us which is correct?

Disappointing results in the benchmark here, though. Not having developer/publisher input hurts AMDVLK greatly. It will never be considered the primary driver for gaming if so many games won't run on it from day 1, no matter that it shines sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by ryao View Post

As far as I can tell, the purpose of amdvlk was to be able to use the same SPIR-V compiler that they use on Windows for unified development. Why would they go through the trouble of being able to use the same compiler only to make a different one?
    The front-end side is the same, but they don't intend to ever open source the backend. That's why amdvlk switched over to using LLVM, based on a fork of the llvm support present for radeonsi.

I believe they wanted to replace the backend with the new LLVM based one everywhere eventually, but that's obviously a long way from happening at this point.

Leave a comment:

• valici
    replied
    Congrats RADV developers, the few you are.
    Although i would want Amd and Radv devel forces combined.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by ryao View Post
    As far as I can tell, the purpose of amdvlk was to be able to use the same SPIR-V compiler that they use on Windows for unified development. Why would they go through the trouble of being able to use the same compiler only to make a different one?
    Afair they want to replace the closed compiler at some point, which would turn the Windows driver into the open amdvlk.
    Just doesn't look like this would happen any time soon, given the questionable state and development.

Leave a comment:

• ryao
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

It's the same codebase, but not the same codegen backend.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    Hey Michael, I don't know if you or anyone cares about more steam play benchmarks, but if so then HITMAN 2 might fit the bill. Seems to work good (spent 60 hours so far) and has a built in benchmark mode.
    Last I checked I had it working with Steam Play but the benchmark mode had some issue on exiting. Was a month or two back so will check when time allows to see if can get it working correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    RADV is getting better and better :-) Would have been nice to include the Radeon VII in this test round, but anyway it was interesting!
    See: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...untu-19.04-Bug

Leave a comment:

Working...
X