FreeSync Support For RADV Vulkan Driver Blocked By Lack Of Config System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indepe View Post
    I don’t quite understand the explanations given so far. If the mouse pointer is the problem, then why isn’t it possible set the display frequency to some minimum frequency like 60 Hz (depending on the monitor), whenever the mouse pointer is being displayed (or moving) ?
    Theoretically, anything is possible as long as it's within the range of FreeSync refresh rates the monitor hardware will accept. The problem is that the developers look at it and see it as not worth the amount of effort it would take to implement.

Heck, if it's a laptop display connected via Embedded DisplayPort 1.3 or newer, the display could support Panel Self-Refresh, which effectively brings the minimum refresh rate down to zero by putting framebuffer memory in the display itself and allowing it to hold an image for however long the PC wants to leave it static. IIRC, since then, a newer version of the eDP standard has added support for VNC-like partial update support.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      debianxfce forces you to work. debianxfce is a communist.
      Really when I want that Linux is easy to use for everyone. The AMD windows vulkan driver does not support freesync so this is a unique feature that is blocked by badly designed IBM software.

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post
        This article raises so many questions. Like, why the heck does this tech need a white- or blacklist in the first place?
        Well, nothing require blacklist managment if people understand how things works, but also why it does not sometimes

Clearly I don't understand what freesync is...
        Exactly becuase of that blacklist managment is needed, as some people seems don't understand

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
          The problem is that FreeSync changes your monitor's refresh rate to match the fps that a program is running at.
          So if you were watching a 24fps video in your opengl/vulkan video player (like mpv), and FreeSync got enabled, your entire display would be refreshing at 24Hz.
          Freesync works with a full screen application only and the application must use the Xorg Present extension, see https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/51388/

I have a 144Hz monitor and personally never want FreeSync enabled. Tearing is barely noticeable on 144Hz, and I enjoy lower input latency from having no compositing or Vsync whatsoever in games. FreeSync and Gsync still add input latency, just slightly less than regular Vsync.
          Many people have 60Hz monitors and freesync and LFC are useful in gaming. LFC is enabled when freesync is enabled so RADV freesync support is really useful for DXVK gaming. Too bad that ibm prevents people to use it.

The only benefit I see to FreeSync/Gsync, is for playing video games with no tearing, while having slightly less input lag than normal Vsync, that's it.
          Very few people measure the input lag caused by video syncing features.

Comment

is it not possible to spike the refresh rate when you move the mouse or something is updating faster? e.g. let's say I'm looking at clementine, not moving the mouse not doing anything nothing but clementine's bar analyzer at 30fps is updating the display. can't the compositor set freesync refresh rate to whatever clementine is refreshing at, and when something else updates change to the set refresh rate (taking it as the maximum)? is it impossible or is it just not implemented?

Comment

Why doesn't someone just adjust the patch to default to off?

Then add a check to enable it if the DXVK engine is detected (radv already does that elsewhere in the driver) or enable it if a new environment variable is set.

Problem solved for the short-term, and Bas can figure out what kind of config system he wants over the long term.

Comment

FreeSync and Gsync still add input latency, just slightly less than regular Vsync.
                You clearly never benchmarked any of those. Have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP7...vmm0-stL-pNFrw
                It's important to limit the max fps just under the max refresh rate and if you do so you won't have any tearing while also not introducing any noticeable latency.
                There are comparisons with Vsync, the difference is HUGE.
                Freesync is the best thing happened to gaming in a long time, I suggest you to try it.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Really when I want that Linux is easy to use for everyone. The AMD windows vulkan driver does not support freesync so this is a unique feature that is blocked by badly designed IBM software.
                  Yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

You clearly never benchmarked any of those. Have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP7...vmm0-stL-pNFrw
                    It's important to limit the max fps just under the max refresh rate and if you do so you won't have any tearing while also not introducing any noticeable latency.
                    There are comparisons with Vsync, the difference is HUGE.
                    Freesync is the best thing happened to gaming in a long time, I suggest you to try it.
                    Freesync is a worst implementation of what Gsync already did. Case in point: When HDMI implemented their VRR spec into HDMI 2.1 (which will likely obsolete both Freesync and Gsync), they basically copied what Gsync does.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
                      is it not possible to spike the refresh rate when you move the mouse or something is updating faster? e.g. let's say I'm looking at clementine, not moving the mouse not doing anything nothing but clementine's bar analyzer at 30fps is updating the display. can't the compositor set freesync refresh rate to whatever clementine is refreshing at, and when something else updates change to the set refresh rate (taking it as the maximum)? is it impossible or is it just not implemented?
                      First you'd need a FreeSync monitor that supports that low of a frame rate. A lot of the LG Ultrawides, for an example, run between 40-75fps for FreeSync. If you're GPU can't push 40+fps then FS is useless with one of those monitors. Clementine wouln't even be able to trigger FreeSync in that instance. It probably isn't hard to guess what kind of monitor I want.

But, pretending FreeSync supports down to 0 fps, the problem we'll have is the Clementine bar is wanting to display 30fps constantly, the desktop is variable between 0 and monitor's max frame rate, you just opened Game of Thrones Season 6 Episode 8 in SMPlayer that runs at 24fps, and you have a YouTube tab in Firefox with a 48fps benchmark video. Which framerate does FreeSync pick to use? It probably isn't hard to guess what I'm watching either.

One program in full screen doesn't have the conflict of interest that a multi-window desktop will have.

Comment

Working...
                      X