RadeonSI Gallium3D In Mesa 19.1 Enables Parallel Shader Compile Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gallium3D In Mesa 19.1 Enables Parallel Shader Compile Support

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D In Mesa 19.1 Enables Parallel Shader Compile Support

Marek Olšák of AMD kicked off the new month by finally landing support for the ARB/KHR extensions around parallel shader compile support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AFAIR shader compilation is mostly asynchronous with radeonsi already. That is, shaders are compiled in separate worker threads and the main thread only blocks if the OpenGL application wants to use the shaders before they've finished compiling.

I think the number of threads that radeonsi uses is rather conservative. This extension now allows programs to increase the number of threads, for instance for a level loading phase. And of course you can actually check progress (without blocking).

Comment

What is the expected benefit of this changes?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        What is the expected benefit of this changes?
        GL 4.6 conformance?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

GL 4.6 conformance?
          These extensions don't appear to be part of OpenGL 4.6 though

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

These extensions don't appear to be part of OpenGL 4.6 though
            The KhronosGroup announces from the SIGGRAPH 2017 Conference the immediate public availability of the OpenGL 4.6 specification. OpenGL 4.6 integrates the functionality of numerous ARB and EXT extensions created by Khronos members AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA into core, including the capability to ingest SPIR-V™ shaders. SPIR-V is a Khronos-defined standard intermediate language for parallel compute and graphics, which enables content creators to simplify their shader authoring and management pipeline...

[-]
            In addition to the above features being added to OpenGL 4.6, the following are being released as extensions:

[ul]
            [li]GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile allows applications to launch multiple shader compile threads to improve shader compile throughput[/li][li]WGL_ARB_create_context_no_error and GXL_ARB_create_context_no_error allow no error contexts to be created with WGL or GLX that support the GL_KHR_no_error extension[/li][/ul]
            The OpenGL 4.6 specification can be found at https://khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/index_gl.php 27.
            [-]

Comment

Well, according to mesa/docs/features ( https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...s/features.txt ) it isn't part of OpenGL 4.6.

Either that or I'm horribly misinterpreting that page (I'm quite a noob at this).

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                to improve shader compile throughput
                Faster load times as benefit then?

Comment

Working...
                X