Radeon's AMDVLK Vulkan Driver Picks Up A Warhammer II Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon's AMDVLK Vulkan Driver Picks Up A Warhammer II Optimization

Phoronix: Radeon's AMDVLK Vulkan Driver Picks Up A Warhammer II Optimization

The AMD developers working on their official Vulkan driver today pushed out updated sources for their "AMDVLK" open-source Linux driver. For this week's worth of activity, there aren't many notable changes but a few...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    No sense to test, amdvlk renders slower than radv. You can see this with the Just Cause 3 game, with radv some textures flicker a bit but with amdvlk a lot and with the black color and the game is unplayable. Amdvlk has rendering problems with the Shadow of the Tomb Raider game and freesync support is missing too.
    Can't say if it has changed in the past year or so, but on my old 260x AMDVLK played Mad Max at 45-60fps and RADV played it 30-50fps, both using the same mixed high/ultra/crap shadows @ 1080p.

For me it's more of a crap shoot with the games I play. Anecdotally, I've noticed that RetroArch emulators prefer AMDVLK over RADV...but, in that case, it makes sense that the cross-platform implementation would work better.

Comment

One of the points of vulkan was leaving ad hoc optimizations and fixes ( as much as possible ) behind . There should be standard ways to tune shader optimizations or have the drivers do it automatically in a game agnostic manner ( profile guided optimizations ? )

Comment

This is not an explicit optimization , not specific Warhammer , right ?

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
          It's both. Looks like it's time to build amdvlk for the 2nd time this week

Comment

No sense to test, amdvlk renders slower than radv.
            Nope, they trade blows depending on the application.
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

No sense to test, amdvlk renders slower than radv. You can see this with the Just Cause 3 game, with radv some textures flicker a bit but with amdvlk a lot and with the black color and the game is unplayable. Amdvlk has rendering problems with the Shadow of the Tomb Raider game and freesync support is missing too.
              Not quite right....

The real truth is it doesn't make sense to test amdvlk because you cant do shit with it.... Due to the completely retarded way they drop code you can't reverse commits. They have intentionally made it as hard as they possibly could to identify bugs. It's plainly obvious AMD doesn't -want- anyone contributing to amdvlk....

And that is the real reason why every commercial distributor contributes to radv alone and why every end user should be on radv alone.

Comment

No sense to test, amdvlk renders slower than radv.
                In my tests is renders faster.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  And that is the real reason why every commercial distributor contributes to radv alone and why every end user should be on radv alone.
                  Yet Google picked it for Stadia over radv for some reason. I'd prefer them to use radv instead.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
                    They are targeting two specific shaders in warhammer 2 to disable the loop unrolling on. In general, you want some level of loop unrolling to happen most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X