No announcement yet.

More AMD FreeSync Patches Likely Coming To Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news about FreeSync with multiple monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
      Any news about FreeSync with multiple monitors?
      I'd also like to know this. My main interest in FreeSync is the potential for a compositor to implement VSync-like tearing prevention across my entire triple-head desktop if I upgrade to FreeSync-capable hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'd also like to know this. My main interest in FreeSync is the potential for a compositor to implement VSync-like tearing prevention across my entire triple-head desktop if I upgrade to FreeSync-capable hardware.
        I would like to use multiple monitors with different frequencies without tearing and stuttering.

I had once setup xfce, compton with xrender backend, and I have achieved perfect vsync for 60hz and 75hz monitors simultaneously, even with multiple opengl applications open on different displays. And, when dragged to the other display, it got automatically adapted. Stuttering was there only if window was split across both displays.
        ​​​​​​
        This support should be standard in every modern desktop environment.

Comment

Been waiting patiently waiting for the freesync support, but turns out it does not work when having more than one monitor connected to the PC.

That's actually makes it unusable for me unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            There is some code for HDMI in the amdgpu kernel driver, but something is still missing. You have for HDMI:

Code:
            xrandr --prop

HDMI-A-0 disconnected
            vrr_capable: 0
            range: (0, 1)
            Try yourself if there is some development in the AMD wip kernel.
            Does 'vrr_capable: 0' stand for "variable refresh rate_capable: no"?

KISS. A professional gamer uses a single monitor in E-sports events. For technical details, see: https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/51388/
            But only a fraction of 60+ Hz monitors are professional gamers and 60+ Hz screens are useful even for non gamers; and even gamers (non professional ones) may find useful having a second screen with chat, browser and other stuff on, especially streamers, as a lot of them use multi monitor setup (or so I think).

Comment

Working...
            X