No announcement yet.

Interested In FreeSync With The RADV Vulkan Driver? Testing Help Is Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope some legendary coder out there for Linux is one day able to get freesync (and maybe nvidia's method) to work in window mode and with secondary displays connected... one day!

ATM I have just stopped using freesync on linux, I need my second monitor for, monitoring stuff and discord etc etc.. even when I'm playing games fullscreen I still use my second screen to check on stuff.

I also noticed for some reason if I set my freesync range down on my monitor too far it will blink and sometimes BLACK out in games, but that's likely a nvidia problem (not AMD users atm). I use these ranges under windows without problem btw, so is odd and unexpected issue.

If I do recall, early days of freesync had loads of flicker and black out issues under windows..

Comment

Originally posted by ivazquez View Post

The chances are pretty good, actually. Assuming CPU issues can be dealt with via a BIOS update, the only other problems seem to be wireless and the webcam. I tracked down the wireless to RTL8821AE which definitely has a driver in the latest F28 kernel, but didn't find anything about the webcam (although there's a decent chance it's just UVC).
      This is coming from experience (my laptop came with a RTL8821AE), but you absolutely do not want to have Realtek WiFi.
      Thankfully, at least on Linux it is stable (it took some time until that happened, I helped a bit with the testing of the driver before it was mainlined), however it is at most, about a quarter the speed of anything from other companies.

My recommendation, order a Intel 9260 (at these prices, why not go for the best?) from Fenvi (they have official stores on both AliExpress and Amazon), and replace the RTL8821AE as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
        Creak
        Will report when I receive it.
        Originally posted by ivazquez View Post
        The chances are pretty good, actually. Assuming CPU issues can be dealt with via a BIOS update, the only other problems seem to be wireless and the webcam. I tracked down the wireless to RTL8821AE which definitely has a driver in the latest F28 kernel, but didn't find anything about the webcam (although there's a decent chance it's just UVC).
        I'll be very interested in the results!
        Laptop compatibility with Linux is so random... I often fantasize about making a youtube channel dedicated to reviewing Linux on laptops
        Last edited by Creak; 19 March 2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Creak From my experience Dell and Asus laptops have very good compatibility with Linux.
          Also one of my current jobs is maintaining custom workstation distro based on CentOS 7 for graphics tasks, so it's not a problem for me to rebuild needed packages with required patches.
          P.S. laptop will be in my hands on friday.

Comment

BNieuwenhuizen Is there a particular monitor you'd like to work with? If so, just let me know <[email protected]> and I can get one in your hands. :- )

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              I'll be very interested in the results!
              Laptop compatibility with Linux is so random... I often fantasize about making a YouTube channel dedicated to reviewing Linux on laptops
              There are reasonably priced, attractive laptops from Dell which they make particular effort to ensure the compatibility of. If you can afford a laptop which is not generic, and their configurations are acceptable, they should be at the top of your list for consideration (for me, though, not nearly enough RAM in those things).

Comment

debianxfce From what I understand this is just a list of laptops sold without an OS; it doesn't mean that it is compatible with Linux. Moreover, even though there are some mention of Linux on the first page, I moved the price cursor for something a bit beefier (above 1500 EUR) and then there is just no mention of Linux at all in the results.

I need a laptop to work, which means with a good CPU (programming), a fair amount of RAM (several software, at the same time, that use a lot of it) and a good GPU (for game dev).

And I don't mean a monster, for instance, right now I have a MacBookPro mid-2016. It honestly works very well. I'm not so fond of macOS, but the hardware in this machine is almost perfect. That said, I tried to put a Linux on it and it's far from working out-of-the-box (but I don't blame Linux for that, Apple is known to have their own hardware specificities). Yet, the problem is the same for more PC-like laptops like, for instance, the ones from Razer. It kinda work, but it goes from "there is just no sound" to "after compiling my own driver, it finally works". I just don't have time for that in my job. And, as I said, I tried System76, but the hardware quality wasn't there at all. I'm waiting for the laptops with their own design, maybe it would be better.. maybe they will have AMD GPUs as well (which is far better than NVIDIA in terms of working out-of-the-box).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  There is no sense to buy expensive laptops with your own money. Laptops are expensive toys that are difficult to repair and service. Build a desktop PC for a such work. For mobile use ,buy a used cheap business laptop or use your smart phone. Laptops have small displays, it is stupid to pay so much for small displays.
                  I'm a grown man and I have enough experience in computers to know what are my options and what are my needs. For instance, a desktop PC can't be brought to both your office and your home, or to work in airports and planes, or at clients offices.

Comment

Creak I got my new laptop Asus FX705DY and got it working with our custom distro. Current base package versions:
                    Kernel: 5.0.1
                    libdrm: 2.4.97
                    Mesa: 19.0.0
                    amdgpu (X11 driver): 19.0.0
                    linux-firmware: built from git on 22.03.2019

What works:
                    CPU - Working stable, no hangs. Under heavy load can stuck in throttle frequencies ~400MHz and needs a reboot to recover. Probably will be fixed by BIOS updates.
                    GPUs - Both of them working as expected, kernel driver do require latest polaris11_k*.bin for discrete chip, and raven2_*.bin and picasso_*.bin for integrated GPU.
                    NVMe (Kingston RBU-SNS8154P3/512GJ) - Works.
                    Ethernet - Works.
                    Wifi - Works, with rtl8821ce driver from here: https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce. Will probably replace with supported Wifi card.
                    Audio - Works.
                    Webcam - Works.
                    Touchpad - Works.
                    Keyboard special keys - Works: Volume control, Display brightness control, Airplane mode.
                    Suspend/Resume - Works, no issues so far.

What not:
                    FreeSync - eDP display not detected as "vrr_capable", will probably report as bug.
                    Keyboard special keys - Not working: Keyboard backlight control, Cooling control, Touchpad on/off control.
                    Last edited by leonmaxx; 24 March 2019, 03:23 AM.

Comment

debianxfce Thanks, I will test freesync with drm-next-5.2-wip.

Comment

Working...
                      X