X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Creak I got my new laptop Asus FX705DY and got it working
    Thank you!
    In the end a whole lot seems to work almost out of the box, that's nice!

Comment

Ok, now bad news, the reviewer too have problem with CPU stuck at 400MHz: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...adeon_rx_560x/

For me bios 306 does not changed anything, CPU under load do throttle and stuck at 400MHz and do not recover until reboot.
      I do not recommend buying this laptop until CPU overheating is resolved by bios update, acpi table fix, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
        Ok, now bad news, the reviewer too have problem with CPU stuck at 400MHz: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...adeon_rx_560x/

For me bios 306 does not changed anything, CPU under load do throttle and stuck at 400MHz and do not recover until reboot.
        I do not recommend buying this laptop until CPU overheating is resolved by bios update, acpi table fix, whatever.
        Oh that's sad
        The "good" part is that apparently the bug also happens on a regular Windows.
        Last edited by Creak; 25 March 2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

ACPI errors that I get on boot are probably related. Bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203041
          Also I sent two e-mails to ASUS with description of CPU problem and ACPI errors.
          Will see.

Comment

As I expected ASUS answered that they don't support Linux. Nice .

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              fix bios parsing.
              Will do when I'll have some free time. Seems like I need a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                debianxfce From what I understand this is just a list of laptops sold without an OS; it doesn't mean that it is compatible with Linux. Moreover, even though there are some mention of Linux on the first page, I moved the price cursor for something a bit beefier (above 1500 EUR) and then there is just no mention of Linux at all in the results.
                There is an OS, they just don't specify.
                Laptop matrix (sort of):
                Dell brings either Windows or Ubuntu;
                HP brings either Windows or their own custom Linux distro (with an ancient kernel), HP-Docs;
                Lenovo brings either Windows or FreeDOS;
                ASUS brings either Windows, eOS (not elementary), or another Linux distro (I forget which, perhaps Mint);
                I'm not sure about Acer or Toshiba, however I'm guessing that they probably have either FreeDOS or some Linux distro (or both), in addition to Windows.

Comment

moriel5 Not that I don't believe you, but I need more facts behind these claims. I know for a fact that Dell sells laptops with Ubuntu on it, and it's easy to verify, there is an official page for them on Dell's website, it's even the first result when I search for "dell laptop linux". But for the other brands, it quickly starts to be blurry. For instance, I searched for "asus laptop linux site:asus.com" there was no official webpage whatsoever.

So I did some research:

Comment

What prevents Bas or some other Mesa developer to merge this simple great patch to the mainline Mesa? The radv freesync patch is written two months ago.

Comment

The simple RADV freesync patch is a copy paste from the OpenGL driver and works as good as with the OpenGL driver.The RADV freesync patch is tested by several people and developers informed.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/bnieu...6523ca7bcc8b46
                      From the commit you linked: "HACK: vulkan/wsi: enable freesync."

HACK

Maybe that's why?

Edit: Moreover, it's on the "freesync" branch. So your argument that "The RADV freesync patch is tested by several people and developers informed" is probably completely wrong. I doubt that a vast majority of devs are testing his branch. They are more likely testing the latest master branch.
                      Last edited by Creak; 04 April 2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X