Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microcode
    replied
    BNieuwenhuizen Is there a particular monitor you'd like to work with? If so, just let me know <[email protected]> and I can get one in your hands. :- )

Leave a comment:

• leonmaxx
    replied
    Creak From my experience Dell and Asus laptops have very good compatibility with Linux.
    Also one of my current jobs is maintaining custom workstation distro based on CentOS 7 for graphics tasks, so it's not a problem for me to rebuild needed packages with required patches.
    P.S. laptop will be in my hands on friday.

Leave a comment:

• Creak
    replied
    Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Creak
    Will report when I receive it.
    Originally posted by ivazquez View Post
    The chances are pretty good, actually. Assuming CPU issues can be dealt with via a BIOS update, the only other problems seem to be wireless and the webcam. I tracked down the wireless to RTL8821AE which definitely has a driver in the latest F28 kernel, but didn't find anything about the webcam (although there's a decent chance it's just UVC).
    I'll be very interested in the results!
    Laptop compatibility with Linux is so random... I often fantasize about making a youtube channel dedicated to reviewing Linux on laptops
    Last edited by Creak; 19 March 2019, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• moriel5
    replied
    Originally posted by ivazquez View Post

The chances are pretty good, actually. Assuming CPU issues can be dealt with via a BIOS update, the only other problems seem to be wireless and the webcam. I tracked down the wireless to RTL8821AE which definitely has a driver in the latest F28 kernel, but didn't find anything about the webcam (although there's a decent chance it's just UVC).
    This is coming from experience (my laptop came with a RTL8821AE), but you absolutely do not want to have Realtek WiFi.
    Thankfully, at least on Linux it is stable (it took some time until that happened, I helped a bit with the testing of the driver before it was mainlined), however it is at most, about a quarter the speed of anything from other companies.

My recommendation, order a Intel 9260 (at these prices, why not go for the best?) from Fenvi (they have official stores on both AliExpress and Amazon), and replace the RTL8821AE as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    I hope some legendary coder out there for Linux is one day able to get freesync (and maybe nvidia's method) to work in window mode and with secondary displays connected... one day!

ATM I have just stopped using freesync on linux, I need my second monitor for, monitoring stuff and discord etc etc.. even when I'm playing games fullscreen I still use my second screen to check on stuff.

I also noticed for some reason if I set my freesync range down on my monitor too far it will blink and sometimes BLACK out in games, but that's likely a nvidia problem (not AMD users atm). I use these ranges under windows without problem btw, so is odd and unexpected issue.

If I do recall, early days of freesync had loads of flicker and black out issues under windows..

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    shmerl (Feels like we interacted quite a bit these days) If I got this right from the sway/wlroots issue, it would just be a matter of the compositor detecting when the fullscreen xwayland window has a VRR property enabled, and setting a drm property accordingly. Supporting xwayland would already go a long way in adding VRR support on Wayland.

Otherwise, it looks like a new protocol is needed on Wayland to communicate the "vrr property" quoted above from an application (example: OpenGL game) to the compositor.
    Or maybe let the compositor decide somehow ?
    Thanks for posting there. I'm not really an expert in Wayland protocols and compositors, so can't say exactly what would be needed. Some input from those who really know would be useful. May be inviting some people from Kwin there would help.

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    shmerl (Feels like we interacted quite a bit these days) If I got this right from the sway/wlroots issue, it would just be a matter of the compositor detecting when the fullscreen xwayland window has a VRR property enabled, and setting a drm property accordingly. Supporting xwayland would already go a long way in adding VRR support on Wayland.

Otherwise, it looks like a new protocol is needed on Wayland to communicate the "vrr property" quoted above from an application (example: OpenGL game) to the compositor.
    Or maybe let the compositor decide somehow ?

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Is it realistic to expect this to end up in one of the Mesa 19.0 point releases?

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post
    Wow, this blew up! Please don't start a donation action on my behalf ... (seriously, money is not the issue. )

Since I have a working patch now and a way to test most of the way without a freesync monitor, as well as several test reports, everyone still testing probably has very little additional value, so please don't test on my behalf.

Thank you all!
    Thanks for implementing this! Hopefully Wayland use case will be addressed by compositors as well.

Leave a comment:

• BNieuwenhuizen
    replied
    Wow, this blew up! Please don't start a donation action on my behalf ... (seriously, money is not the issue. )

Since I have a working patch now and a way to test most of the way without a freesync monitor, as well as several test reports, everyone still testing probably has very little additional value, so please don't test on my behalf.

Thank you all!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X