Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU For Linux 5.1 Tweaks The Golden Settings For Vega, Corrects Fiji Power Reading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU For Linux 5.1 Tweaks The Golden Settings For Vega, Corrects Fiji Power Reading

Phoronix: AMDGPU For Linux 5.1 Tweaks The Golden Settings For Vega, Corrects Fiji Power Reading

Since last week the big set of DRM driver changes has been part of the mainline kernel for Linux 5.1 while working its way to mainline now are a couple of early fixes to the AMDGPU driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ega-Golden-5.1

• debianxfce
    replied

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Sounds rather bad. In idle, my MSI 580 Armor goes down to ~29°C on Linux
    Mine Asus RX 570 OC Expedition too. Idle values: 28C, 30W, 1000rpm.

, Asus is the biggest trash manufacturer around in PC hardware business.
    Asus has highest quality products. 3 year warranty time proves that. My ASUS VP28UQG monitor has 3 years on-site warranty. Msi and other manufacturer stuff would not have survived when my Asus RX570 did blow my 520W PSU. The Asus RX570 card and the PRIME B350M-K motherboard survived fine. Phoronix buys Asus products with own money too : https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-1660-Launches

Ez Flash is great for Linux users, you can download and flash a new bios within bios. It is great to have a wintel conspiracy free PC.
    Last edited by debianxfce; 03-15-2019, 11:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Sounds rather bad. In idle, my MSI 580 Armor goes down to ~29°C on Linux and ~25°C on Windows with both 450rpm.
    I also had an Asus 580 Dual card, which had a cheating bios regarding temperature thresholds and way worse fans than MSI. It also consumed more power by having lower clock and voltage at the same time. In my experience, Asus is the biggest trash manufacturer around in PC hardware business.

Leave a comment:

• debianxfce
    replied
    Needless to say that ZeroFan should work on Linux as well
    Linux is not windows. AMD Linux driver developers know what is good for us. My Asus RX560 and RX570 card packages does not have any mention of ZeroFan. Non-stop durability, 144-hour testing and non-stop gaming is mentioned. 30W and 1000 rpm idle values are fine for Polaris in Linux.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    And how would broken fan control be connected to wrong reported GPU power? Totally different topic, I'd say.
    Needless to say that ZeroFan should work on Linux as well, at least it did so for an Asus Vega card I had briefly installed. It's probably just another notorious Polaris Linux issue, among others.

But I don't care anyway, as I use a custom fan curve without ZF on any OS.

Leave a comment:

• debianxfce
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post

You mean the semi-passive fan control that is a feature of many modern graphics cards? That's not just Windows by the way, mine does that on Debian as well.
    I have burned a passive cooled Msi nv 8400 G card and Msi motherboard with the 3.0Ghz overclocked Pentium
    E2160 CPU. Never again passive cooled GPU cards or Msi products for me. Power hog chips like Fury need constant airflow definitely. No wonder Sapphire products have 2 year warranty here, f.ex the Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+ card . Asus have 3 years for the Asus Radeon RX Vega 64 ROG STRIX GAMING OC card. The Sapphire card is just 30 euros cheaper, 469 euros.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I have read that windows driver even disables the gpu fan. Windows destroys your hardware.
    You mean the semi-passive fan control that is a feature of many modern graphics cards? That's not just Windows by the way, mine does that on Debian as well.

Leave a comment:

• debianxfce
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Regular 5.0 didn't have it either, until it was disabled. I'm asking whether it's still planned for 5.1 or not.
    The AMD wip kernel has so many new patches for many cards that the mainline kernel is not interesting and your problem is fixed in:
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...=drm-next#n644

Leave a comment:

• debianxfce
    replied
    My whole system consumes 30W in idle on Windows and maybe ~35W on Linux. So yes, the 29W reported by amdgpu are totally unrealistic.
    I have read that windows driver even disables the gpu fan. Windows destroys your hardware.

Leave a comment:

• dwagner
    replied
    Not only does the current amd-staging-drm-next head still crash quickly when performing the "3 fps video replay test", it also fails to allow setting the shader clock manually, keeping it at an unreasonable second-highest of its 6 different levels. So no progress in sight for me, just more regressions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X