Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU For Linux 5.1 Tweaks The Golden Settings For Vega, Corrects Fiji Power Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

If you mean this patch: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/2/25/747

The AMD wip kernel does not have that: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...t-5.2-wip#n644
    Regular 5.0 didn't have it either, until it was disabled. I'm asking whether it's still planned for 5.1 or not.

Comment

Not only does the current amd-staging-drm-next head still crash quickly when performing the "3 fps video replay test", it also fails to allow setting the shader clock manually, keeping it at an unreasonable second-highest of its 6 different levels. So no progress in sight for me, just more regressions.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I have read that windows driver even disables the gpu fan. Windows destroys your hardware.
        You mean the semi-passive fan control that is a feature of many modern graphics cards? That's not just Windows by the way, mine does that on Debian as well.

Comment

And how would broken fan control be connected to wrong reported GPU power? Totally different topic, I'd say.
          Needless to say that ZeroFan should work on Linux as well, at least it did so for an Asus Vega card I had briefly installed. It's probably just another notorious Polaris Linux issue, among others.

But I don't care anyway, as I use a custom fan curve without ZF on any OS.

Comment

Sounds rather bad. In idle, my MSI 580 Armor goes down to ~29°C on Linux and ~25°C on Windows with both 450rpm.
            I also had an Asus 580 Dual card, which had a cheating bios regarding temperature thresholds and way worse fans than MSI. It also consumed more power by having lower clock and voltage at the same time. In my experience, Asus is the biggest trash manufacturer around in PC hardware business.

Comment

Working...
            X