Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU vs. Radeon Kernel Driver Performance On Linux 5.0 For AMD GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

There is a lot of hardware out there that can't run vulkan at all.

Someone could also make radv or amdvlk work over radeon.
    And some hardware that could run Vulkan but is unsupported by current drivers. I remember airlied talking about Vulkan support for VLIW4 chips.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Really the only thing missing for CIK in amdgpu is support for analog DACs.
    Plus some regressions like the suspend/resume problem on my Kabini.

Comment

Originally posted by accumulator View Post
      Not sure if you're trying to help here or trying to be a condescending asshole.
      Being smart enough to be a Msc probably the latter.
      "Allan 2019-03-10 09:37:56 UTCAllan 2019-03-10 09:37:56 UTC"
      Regarding the PSU profile
      I requested to BIOSTAR a bios that allowed to change it. They sent me a beta version to test it.
      "

Memory modules were not compatible with the Biostar motherboard. Asus makes high quality motherboards and does have the memory test document. Asus makes high quality GPU cards and monitors too. Asus has 3 year warranty when Biostar and many other cheaper brands have 1-2 year warranty here. With Ez Flash you can update BIos without OS often and Asus motherboards have had Typical Current Idle in the bios Advanced/AMD CBS menu for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Plus some regressions like the suspend/resume problem on my Kabini.
        Close bugs that are 2 years old. Suspend/resume bugs does have a very low priority because it is very time consuming to test and developers does not have the same hardware. This problem has been decades in the operating systems and I do not use suspend/resume with my computers.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          I thought Hawaii was GCN 2, no?
          GCN 1.1 was a term coined by the media. Internally AMD was calling it GCN 2.
          But ya Hawai is CI and that's what we are talking about.

A GPU like the 390x is still very powerful today, performs like an RX 570 on windows and with a great feature set. But on Linux by default it doesn't get vulkan and upcoming freesync.\

I guess the resources are too limited for AMD to prioritize this. But Linux as a whole really needs to get to the point where users do not have to do stuff like adding boot parameters to change a GPU kernel driver in order to play games on their powerful hardware. On this forum we say it is trivial, but really it's a lot to ask of a user.

I do it on my R9 290, but I shouldn't have to. Compared to windows it's a pain, they gave me Vulkan and freesync years ago.
          Last edited by humbug; 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            I do it on my R9 290, but I shouldn't have to. Compared to windows it's a pain, they gave me Vulkan and freesync years ago.
            You can sell it to windows users then. Windows users are good to buy and use old hardware. Linux only users are buying and using the latest hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You can sell it to windows users then. Windows users are good to buy and use old hardware. Linux only users are buying and using the latest hardware.
              Debian users are commies who only buy low-end AMD hardware & run terrible outdated software like plain ALSA. Fedora users are smart and experienced and use high quality nvidia software.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                GCN 1.1 was a term coined by the media. Internally AMD was calling it GCN 2.
                But ya Hawai is CI and that's what we are talking about.

A GPU like the 390x is still very powerful today, performs like an RX 570 on windows and with a great feature set. But on Linux by default it doesn't get vulkan and upcoming freesync.\

I guess the resources are too limited for AMD to prioritize this. But Linux as a whole really needs to get to the point where users do not have to do stuff like adding boot parameters to change a GPU kernel driver in order to play games on their powerful hardware. On this forum we say it is trivial, but really it's a lot to ask of a user.

Use windows? I guess it's a bit of a chicken or egg situation, but windows is still like 90% of the client market and the size of the engineering teams reflect that. Realistically, you need a team that big to implement all the features the hw is capable of to the level provided in windows. Most of the Linux market is still embedded and server focused. Linux does have one nice advantage in that it is open source so anyone that has a particular itch can scratch it themselves.

Comment

All this being said, I'm now starting to wonder if I should drop amdgpu on my HD7950 and move back to radeon or catalyst...
                  What a sad situation. This is still a decent GPU by today's standards so I wanted to use the "best" and more actively developed driver but all 3 drivers I can choose among are incomplete and barely maintained...

Comment

Originally posted by fedoragnome View Post

Debian users are commies who only buy low-end AMD hardware & run terrible outdated software like plain ALSA. Fedora users are smart and experienced and use high quality nvidia software.
                    Fedora is so crap that even patriotic Nasa does not use it.
                    http://allinfo.space/2017/01/14/nasa...ops-by-debian/

Redhat and microsoft fans are brainwashed with a poor software. Many of them have not even tried better operation systems and software. Nvidia Linux drivers are crap, does not support the latest kernel without patching, no way to fix bugs by yourself in closed source code, you must install and update it without X running.

Alsa audio is stable, pulseaudio is not. No real gamer or music creator uses pulseaudio.

Idiots buy overpriced nvidia/amd gpu cards, their performance per dollar is poor and they get old very fast.
                    Last edited by debianxfce; 03-13-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YamashitaRen View Post
                      All this being said, I'm now starting to wonder if I should drop amdgpu on my HD7950 and move back to radeon or catalyst...
                      What a sad situation. This is still a decent GPU by today's standards so I wanted to use the "best" and more actively developed driver but all 3 drivers I can choose among are incomplete and barely maintained...
                      7 years is a very long time in computer electronics. Just think what we have now and did not have then. Fast nvme drives, reasonable priced multicore processors, 4K monitors and GPU cards with lower power usage and more features.

And those older cards are not so fast as you believe, you can replace HD7950 with the low power and cool RX 560. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html

Comment

Working...
                      X