No announcement yet.

Enabling AMD Radeon FreeSync On Linux 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your statement is completely wrong. The lag difference between 7 and 14ms is very noticeable otherwise 144 Hz panels wouldn't have a right to exist. But they do.
    Also, it's not 72 FPS, it will do hard jumps between 144, 72, 48, 36... FPS. The frame time graph will look like a step function with multiples of ~7ms which is the complete opposite of smoothness.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
      Your statement is completely wrong. The lag difference between 7 and 14ms is very noticeable otherwise 144 Hz panels wouldn't have a right to exist. But they do.
      Also, it's not 72 FPS, it will do hard jumps between 144, 72, 48, 36... FPS. The frame time graph will look like a step function with multiples of ~7ms which is the complete opposite of smoothness.
      Facepalm
      Due to matrices overdrive each monitor must have input lag at least for 1 frame period. Most have more than one, especially TVs withtout game mode activated. Up to 50ms for nongaming displays. So, even with best monitor you will see 1 frame after videocard passed it to the monitor. 10-15 milliseconds. But, before it will pass frame videocard have to render it. With 60 fps, rendering takes about 15 ms. So, you will see frame 30ms after videocard have started to render it. But before videocard will start to render it, gpu driver have to pass command buffer to it and command buffer may contain several frames (up to 3 with direct3d), so it is safe to assume opengl/vulkan usermode driver have to process rendering commands 50-60ms before you will see frame. Modern cpu-bound rendering engines must feed commands to opengl and it takes even more time, lets assume 3-5 ms. And before starting to render game should compute world change, usually it recomputes 1/60 seconds, so another 15ms. 70-80ms. And, at last, you have to add lag of mouse and lag of OS input processing. So, you see image moving at least 100 milliseconds after you've moved the mouse. Additional 3.5-7ms of 144hz vsync lag will surely ruin everything.
      Text about fps jumping is same garbage. All these jumps with 120+ monitors are far beyond human ability to notice.

Comment

Also note that Vulkan games are not supported at this time for FreeSync by RADV or AMDVLK drivers.
        Michael Do you have any information about when FreeSync will be supported by RADV ?

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
          Facepalm
          LOL

Stop spreading nonsense. Every healthy human is able to notice the difference in frame time smoothness comparing 7 ms, 14 ms, 21 ms, 21 ms, 28 ms, 7 ms, 21 ms, ... to 7 ms, 7 ms, 7 ms... or even 28 ms, 28 ms, 28 ms... If you aren't, I would rather have my eyesight checked - or my bias. Some find it more disruptive, others less. But the latter group can still notice the difference if it is pointed out by someone.

I don't even care to elaborate on the rest of your wrong and even contradictory statements as long as you play the ignorant prime example of dunning-kruger.
          Last edited by juno; 05 March 2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

LOL

Stop spreading nonsense. Every healthy human is able to notice the difference in frame time smoothness comparing 7 ms, 14 ms, 21 ms, 21 ms, 28 ms, 7 ms, 21 ms, ... to 7 ms, 7 ms, 7 ms... or even 28 ms, 28 ms, 28 ms... If you aren't, I would rather have my eyesight checked - or my bias.
            So, you are decide to forget about additional 3-7ms lag? Good for you.
            Now with smoothness... With usual cinema you see a sequence of still images with 42ms gaps between them. If you're able to notice 7ms jitter... well, it should be torture to you to look for 42 milliseconds waiting for next frame while watching a movie. And, by the way, there is another thing. Open some benchmarks, phoronix for example and take a look at charts. You will see 3 numbers minimum, average and maximum framerate. And minimum framerate may be two times lesser than average. So, even with perfect freesync you won't see "28ms, 28ms, 28ms", there will be something like "28ms, 20ms, 59ms, 7ms or something like that,

Comment

So, you are decide to forget about additional 3-7ms lag? Good for you.
              I've never claimed being able to tell the difference between consistently having 3-7 ms more or less lag.

Now with smoothness... With usual cinema you see a sequence of still images with 42ms gaps between them. If you're able to notice 7ms jitter... well, it should be torture to you to look for 42 milliseconds waiting for next frame while watching a movie.
              The cinema movie plays perfectly smooth. The frame rate is slow as hell and a movie to compensate it with a ton of motion blur and still stutters and yes, it is a pain. But the output is perfectly consistent, which makes it much more acceptable while still being unnecessary garbage in modern times. But you still don't get this difference, do you? With this level of ignorance there's no point in continuing this conversation.
              Last edited by juno; 05 March 2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Due to a missing monitor/TV I can't test freesync but if it would not work via HDMI then this would be very bad as TVs usually don't have got DP connectors but some support VRR. AMD really does too many stupid checks like they disable audio via DVI - it works everywhere else, Windows supports it on same hardware, Intel and Nvidia have got no issues but to get sound with Linux I have to use a native HDMI connector. AMD should not limit drivers to disallow features which work everywhere else!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Due to a missing monitor/TV I can't test freesync but if it would not work via HDMI then this would be very bad as TVs usually don't have got DP connectors but some support VRR. AMD really does too many stupid checks like they disable audio via DVI - it works everywhere else, Windows supports it on same hardware, Intel and Nvidia have got no issues but to get sound with Linux I have to use a native HDMI connector. AMD should not limit drivers to disallow features which work everywhere else!
                  I'm in the same boat as far as not being able to use Freesync over HDMI, so Ifeel the pain, but just give it some time. There are probably good reasons not to support it right now

Comment

On Arch, I went ahead and built xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0 and mesa 19.0.0-rc7... All seems to be okay per Michael's post.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      No and I see no use for that. All my Linux games works in the freesync range 40-60Hz and faster
                      Yes, because the AMD developers are only coding things for you

Comment

Working...
                      X