No announcement yet.

AMDGPU FreeSync Has A Last Minute Fix To Help Prevent Stuttering For Linux 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU FreeSync Has A Last Minute Fix To Help Prevent Stuttering For Linux 5.0

Phoronix: AMDGPU FreeSync Has A Last Minute Fix To Help Prevent Stuttering For Linux 5.0

One of the major end-user features of the new Linux 5.0 kernel that is due to be released this weekend is support for FreeSync / Variable Rate Refresh on AMD Radeon GPUs via the mainline AMDGPU driver. There's a last minute fix requested to help prevent stuttering with this long-awaited feature for Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope it ends up a just works -kind of thing.

Haven't seen anything said about freesync 2. I guess that's not there yet in 5.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
      Haven't seen anything said about freesync 2. I guess that's not there yet in 5.0.
      It's my understanding that FreeSync 2 is identical to the original FreeSync in terms of what the GPU/drivers must do. The primary change is that FreeSync 2 has more stringent requirements for displays to become certified as FreeSync 2 compatible. Apparently there were some displays that technically met the original FreeSync specifications but delivered a less-than-great experience.

Comment

Is it in good shape, if radv still doesn't support it? Or that's not the case now?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          It's my understanding that FreeSync 2 is identical to the original FreeSync in terms of what the GPU/drivers must do. The primary change is that FreeSync 2 has more stringent requirements for displays to become certified as FreeSync 2 compatible. Apparently there were some displays that technically met the original FreeSync specifications but delivered a less-than-great experience.
          I think it also adds in HDR support when Freesync is enabled (not that either HDR400 is great/really HDR, or that Linux supports HDR in general).

Comment

I was really afraid this fix wasn't pushed to 5.0, simplest way to reproduce the issue this fixes was cranking graphic settings up until fps is lower than refresh rate with both VRR and Vsync enabled.

This patch makes games even at 40ish fps very smooth compared to how it was before (periodic constant stutters at anything less than monitor maximum) even with vsync on.

Now if we get arbitrary frame limiting (like radeon chill, rtss etc) we wont even need vsync. Simply limiting to refresh rate doesnt work well and tends to tear a bit, but limiting to a few fps less like 56fps (@60Hz) or 140fps (@144Hz) works very well without vsync and gets rid of most tear and judder without sacrificing a lot of latency.
            Last edited by clapbr; 27 February 2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I'm definitely waiting for your guide Michael.
              I've recently tried to make it work with kernel 5.0-rc6 and Mesa 19.1.0 git (Padoka PPA) and it was a huge mess:
              • framerate limited to ~50fps
              • constant flicker even on the desktop
              It was an awful experience to the point I feared it would damage my monitor (unlikely but it was so bad it made me feel uneasy).

Comment

I wish NVIDIA's VRR worked better. If I use my custom freesync range edid of 33-62hz that 'I use under win10 without issue', it blanks/blinks the screen... Kinda frustrating.

Comment

There's been lots of updates to xorg-amdgpu-ddx also, so everyone testing should update to the latest.

I got it working I think, used both tearfree and freesync. Might have seen the issue with framerate capped at 50 though...

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
                    I'm definitely waiting for your guide Michael.
                    I've recently tried to make it work with kernel 5.0-rc6 and Mesa 19.1.0 git (Padoka PPA) and it was a huge mess:
                    • framerate limited to ~50fps
                    • constant flicker even on the desktop
                    It was an awful experience to the point I feared it would damage my monitor (unlikely but it was so bad it made me feel uneasy).
                    I think I have that framerate thing also.

No flicker though. Which desktop environment are you running? I'm on Gnome.

I put the latest DDX on a ppa, hope that helps someone: https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/freesync

Comment

Working...
                    X