AMDGPU DC Gets Fixes For Seamless Boot, Disappearing Cursor On Raven Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU DC Gets Fixes For Seamless Boot, Disappearing Cursor On Raven Ridge

Phoronix: AMDGPU DC Gets Fixes For Seamless Boot, Disappearing Cursor On Raven Ridge

Should you be running into any display problems or just want to help in testing out the open-source AMD Linux driver's display code, a new round of patches were published today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this didn't make it into 5.0? I've been applying this manually so far: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ry/031437.html

I hope this will be backported to 5.0.

Comment

<sarcasm>I am sure the people who started experiencing constant lockups / freezes from October 2018 on Raven Ridge will be totally relieved to see that in between lockups, their cursor will no longer disappear. (There are more bug reports like this.)</sarcasm>

But honestly, it is just sad how cosmetic issues are being fixed while the show-stoppers stay.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
        <sarcasm>I am sure the people who started experiencing constant lockups / freezes from October 2018 on Raven Ridge will be totally relieved to see that in between lockups, their cursor will no longer disappear. (There are more bug reports like this.)</sarcasm>

But honestly, it is just sad how cosmetic issues are being fixed while the show-stoppers stay.
        Maybe they don't have the resources for wide scale driver development? The company is rather small compared to Intel & Nvidia. It took Intel years to improve the state of their iGPU drivers. They were unreliable utter crap just 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          It took Intel years to improve the state of their iGPU drivers. They were unreliable utter crap just 5 years ago.
          Yeah, I can vouch for that.
          My celeron 847 HTPC had loads of random lockups around that time.
          Nowadays it's rock solid and can run weeks on end.

Still it's no consolation when you have a 2200G that keeps freezing over and over

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
            Yeah, I can vouch for that.
            My celeron 847 HTPC had loads of random lockups around that time.
            Nowadays it's rock solid and can run weeks on end.

Still it's no consolation when you have a 2200G that keeps freezing over and over
            Believe me I know the frustration but look at it this way, Linux has improved on the platform with every major Linux release. My biggest problem right now is doing a BIOS update which I believe is needed for newer kernels.

Comment

I really hope the "black screen on resume"-fix solves my issue with just that specific problem. It sounds like it, since I'm running a 290.

marek or bridgman any chance this fix (which fixes quite a serious issue) will be backported to 4.20 and 5.0?
              Last edited by Azpegath; 18 February 2019, 12:22 PM. Reason: Fix spelling mistake and add question to marek and bridgman.

Comment

Finally. Same old bug I had on a laptop from years ago, reappears on newer high end GPU, and doesn't get fixed for months. Yay AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post

Consider that these fixes are from the DC group, and it sounds like that bug listed is a firmware problem. It seems like firmware issues have been a pain point for them, and only they would know why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Twysock View Post
                    It seems like firmware issues have been a pain point for them, and only they would know why that is.
                    Yeah I'm starting to wonder if a number of painful bugs, like this flickering issue due to mclk rapidly switching, are (at least in part) caused by firmware issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X