Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon VII (Vega 20) Firmware Support Lands In Linux-Firmware.Git

Phoronix: Radeon VII (Vega 20) Firmware Support Lands In Linux-Firmware.Git

In addition to needing a recent version of the Linux kernel and Mesa (ideally, Linux 5.0 and Mesa 19.0 if enjoying the very best performance and features) for using a Radeon VII graphics card on Linux, you also need to have the necessary firmware binaries manually installed if not using the Radeon Software for Linux driver package. Those firmware bits are now in the linux-firmware.git repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

... while for the non-rolling-release distributions they generally don't ship new firmware updates until their next OS release.
    Well, I don't know about other distros, but running openSUSE LEAP 15, I have received several firmware updates since it's launch. Presently being on Version 20181218, which was last updated with some fixes to 20181218-lp150.2.9-1 on January 25.
    So even some Stable-Releases are quite up-to-date.

Comment

Originally posted by rgloor View Post

Well, I don't know about other distros, but running openSUSE LEAP 15, I have received several firmware updates since it's launch. Presently being on Version 20181218, which was last updated with some fixes to 20181218-lp150.2.9-1 on January 25.
      So even some Stable-Releases are quite up-to-date.
      and Ubuntu receive too

Comment

Debian 9 too have firmwares from last month in backports, so no idea about which distros Michael talking about Let alone that by default Debian is like mentioned Trisquel with no blob firmwares by default, backports repo is also no default. But it is up to user if he need or wanna load any of these and which versions, as always

- Upstream version is commit bc656509a3cfb60fcdfc905d7e23c18873e4e7b9 dated 2019-01-14
        https://lists.debian.org/debian-back.../msg00049.html

By other comments and in general generally this generously seems not true

On the other hand if generally == default, that is certainly true
        Last edited by dungeon; 12 February 2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Debian 9 too have firmwares from last month in backports, so no idea about which distros Michael talking about Let alone that by default Debian is like mentioned Trisquel with no blob firmwares by default, backports repo is also no default. But it is up to user if he need or wanna load any of these and which versions, as always

https://lists.debian.org/debian-back.../msg00049.html

By other comments and in general generally this generously seems not true

On the other hand if generally == default, that is certainly true
          My be the fact that Vega 20 [Vega VII] isn't part of the latest batch of Firmware in Debian, but who knows, right? /s

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

My be the fact that Vega 20 [Vega VII] isn't part of the latest batch of Firmware in Debian, but who knows, right? /s
            Obviosly it isn't of course, as Phoronix newswork gitwatcher says that is dropped in upstream git today

Of course Debian is as of today in soft freeze, second stage leading to the deep freeze in a month... so only one month more for some rolling

https://lists.debian.org/debian-deve.../msg00008.html
            Last edited by dungeon; 12 February 2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Really waiting for a cheap Vega/HBM card from AMD. I'm still on my GTX 1060, but I want to move to an more open source alternative

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                Really waiting for a cheap Vega/HBM card from AMD. I'm still on my GTX 1060, but I want to move to an more open source alternative
                Vega VII now does 3.5 teraflops of FP64 which is about 10x what you get even with the Titan RTX. So for scientific computing this thing has the best price performance of any card in existence by a huge multiple.

Comment

Agreed with Vega. You're living a fantasy if you expect a cheaper HBM card than the VII. The Vega VII has a number of faults, but strong open source support and excellent compute are very strong reasons to buy it.

HBM2 is not cheap, period, and I would bet money that Navi will not be HBM2 based. They're targeting the mainstream market.

The cheapest you'll get is one of the existing HBM cards, with the price driven down by competition between the VII and 2080, but of course non VII cards have much slower compute.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Does Debian even have the kernel driver and Mesa at a recent enough version to use it at all?

Comment

Working...
                    X