Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The RadeonSI NIR Back-End With Mesa 19.1 Git

Phoronix: Running The RadeonSI NIR Back-End With Mesa 19.1 Git

It's been a number of months since last trying the RadeonSI NIR back-end, which is being developed as part of the OpenGL 4.6 SPIR-V bits for this AMD OpenGL driver, but eventually RadeonSI may end up switching from TGSI to NIR by default. Given the time since we last tried it out and the increasing popularity of NIR, this weekend I did some fresh tests of the NIR back-end with a Radeon Vega graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for doing those Michael!
    Can you please tell me the sha from which the mesa was build?

Comment

I feel sorry for the Windows AMD OpenGL driver. Getting destroyed so hard must hurt

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
        Thanks for doing those Michael!
        Can you please tell me the sha from which the mesa was build?
        You should be able to get that from the build logs on Launchpad.net for the Padoka PPA. Unfortunately the Padoka PPA doesn't report the hash to the Mesa version string.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

You should be able to get that from the build logs on Launchpad.net for the Padoka PPA. Unfortunately the Padoka PPA doesn't report the hash to the Mesa version string.
          Oh, from what I could find it seems that mesa build is about ~ a week old (808bf59). It seems that is missing some important NIR work done by Kenneth Graunke and Timothy Arceri.

Comment

the only test with less than 60 fps is faster with tgsi, so it's not ready to be enabled by default

Comment

I didn't expect performance increases yet, but great to see it is that mature already. I use since 2 months NIR in all OpenGL games with RadeonSI and Mesa git and I didn't find any issue so far. Would be quite interesting to know a time line when this might become the default.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                I feel sorry for the Windows AMD OpenGL driver. Getting destroyed so hard must hurt
                And yet no one cares in the Windows world as games use DirectX and not OpenGL.

Comment

I'm pretty happy with these results. There are still a number of known optimisations missing for the NIR backend vs the TGSI backend.

Comment

Thanks Michael. Sounds like NIR support is in pretty good shape.

Comment

Working...
                    X