No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Sends In More Linux 5.1 Updates With Seamless Boot Bits, FreeSync Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Sends In More Linux 5.1 Updates With Seamless Boot Bits, FreeSync Fixes

Phoronix: AMDGPU Sends In More Linux 5.1 Updates With Seamless Boot Bits, FreeSync Fixes

With the cutoff this weekend of new material in DRM-Next that hopes to make it in the upcoming Linux 5.1 cycle, besides Intel sending in a last batch, so has AMD with some more AMDGPU changes for this next version of the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

BACO? Is that the state my card is when it suddenly turns off due to a minor AC voltage fluctuation and I am forced to reboot the system to get it back up?

Comment

Still waiting for AMDGPU DC to not lock up the system while playing CS:GO on my Vega 64.

Comment

Nice to see the developement of AMDs linux driver efforts. If work will continue in this pace NVIDIA might soon be a real handicap on a linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
          Nice to see the developement of AMDs linux driver efforts. If work will continue in this pace NVIDIA might soon be a real handicap on a linux desktop.
          I agree, but AMD also has to first release a GPU that can actually really match Nvidia as well. The best possible drivers in the world won't help when it takes their 7nm GPU 300 watts to just barely match the performance of a 14nm/215 watt GPU. I can only imagine what the situation will be when Nvidia goes to 7nm as well, and I say this as someone currently using a Vega 56.

Comment

AMD, please make the newer kernel driver the default for sea islands on kernel 5.1, it's getting ridiculous now.

GCN 1.1 has so many powerful graphics cards like the R9 390x etc and users should not have to mess with things just to use basic functionality like the Vulkan graphics API, which windows users got by default 3 years ago using the same hardware.
            Last edited by humbug; 09 February 2019, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              That is a garbage game,
              You don't fix a game by not playing it.

Comment

Anyone have issues with booting via display port? Ever since the DC patches in 4.15 I've needed to plug in my second monitor via HDMI to boot then switch to the DP.

Comment

delta color compression on scan-out surfaces
                  That should help with power consumption on mobile GPUs, right? Can it be used together with stutter mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post

I agree, but AMD also has to first release a GPU that can actually really match Nvidia as well. The best possible drivers in the world won't help when it takes their 7nm GPU 300 watts to just barely match the performance of a 14nm/215 watt GPU. I can only imagine what the situation will be when Nvidia goes to 7nm as well, and I say this as someone currently using a Vega 56.
                    nms are none of your business. really, nobody charges you per nanometer. you are buying performance/capabilites, not nanometers. so we are left only with power usage claim. and it's wrong. recent test shows vii scores very good in performance per watt metric

Comment

Working...
                    X