Updated Radeon Software 18.50 Linux Driver Tacks On Radeon VII Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Radeon Software 18.50 Linux Driver Tacks On Radeon VII Support

Phoronix: Updated Radeon Software 18.50 Linux Driver Tacks On Radeon VII Support

For those uncomfortable in building your own Linux kernel and Mesa in order to attain Radeon VII support (or don't want to leverage third-party package repositories), there is a new Radeon Software for Linux driver release now available with Radeon VII support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And is completely broken for distributions not otherwise listed as they are hardcoded to check for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      And is completely broken for distributions not otherwise listed as they are hardcoded to check for them.
      Really a sad thing. Who could have imagined the drivers for a very limited supply GPU are not fully mature in 24 hours after launch. I hope RHEL 5 support is there at least.

Comment

Last time I used the proprietary driver for my Vega, I managed to get it working on Linux Mint by editing the install.sh script and commenting out the check.
        (Mint is derived from Ubuntu, but identified as Mint in their install script).

Comment

Originally posted by TheYoshiGuy View Post
          Last time I used the proprietary driver for my Vega, I managed to get it working on Linux Mint by editing the install.sh script and commenting out the check. (Mint is derived from Ubuntu, but identified as Mint in their install script).
          I believe you already know this but for others...

We have tweaked the install scripts now to recognize Mint as well as Ubuntu... guessing the change didn't make it into 18.50 though.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We have tweaked the install scripts now to recognize Mint as well as Ubuntu... guessing the change didn't make it into 18.50 though.
            Cool, I wasn't aware (I've been using the opensource driver since around Kernel 4.16).
            Until that change makes it into the new installer, I assume others will be able to comment out the check right?

Comment

Originally posted by TheYoshiGuy View Post
              Until that change makes it into the new installer, I assume others will be able to comment out the check right?
              Yep, AFAIK it's an easy change other than having to unpack the packages (1 or 2, I forget). We just hadn't tried the new package-based install on Mint and so didn't realize that it presented differently from Ubuntu.

The old native installer didn't care too much about what the distro thought and just stuffed the files in reasonably good places, so per-distro nuances like that didn't matter much.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I'm not on Mint. I'm on Debian Sid, and you've never tweaked the install scripts for it to ever work.

Comment

I'm not on Mint. I'm on Debian Sid, and you've never tweaked the install scripts for it to ever work.
                  Agreed... don't know yet if installing on Debian can be supported with the same degree of tweaking but will investigate. My understanding was that since Mint was based on Ubuntu the tweaking was more about tweaking some checking logic rather than changing how the install was actually done.
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X