Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    now make it work on hdmi, my monitor is waiting for it
    I'm in the same boat, but apparently my move will just have to be ditching the monitor. Too bad, it was a great monitor for the price, but if its just not going to work properly in Linux then I have no real usage for it as a primary display anyway. I guess freesync doesn't work as a secondary monitor anyway so one of these days I'll just buy a new monitor and push this one to the secondary. Its lame though. They got it to work in Windows they should get it to work in Linux too. But I'm not the one coding this in so I guess that's my problem more than theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Actually, it may be more common than you think. As FreeSync uses Adaptive-Sync which originally comes from laptop panels, many of those support this "by accident".
      more like by spec. eDP is still Displayport and it has to support Adaptive Sync.

Comment

Actually, it may be more common than you think. As FreeSync uses Adaptive-Sync which originally comes from laptop panels, many of those support this "by accident".

Some laptops like the HP Envy x360 15z support FreeSync, even though it is not mentioned in marketing material anywhere.
        Others like the Huawei Matebook D (Ryzen Edition) support FreeSync even though not advertised by the EDID even. However with a custom EDID you can get FreeSync to work (at least in Windows).
        My Envy x360 13" does not show freesync compatibility in the radeon settings in W10 as far as i know (i usually only boot it to update BIOS). Would that change if i edit EDID or is there something more to it? Or does Adaptive Sync work even though radeon settings says no freesync support?

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
          Freesync is nice and all but I'd prefer to be able to turn my monitors off and turn them on again without amdgpu module crashing over variable refresh-rate. This has been a problem since kernel 4.18.20.
          Asking for help here isn't the best route for drawing attention to this issue. Have you opened a bug report on their bug tracker? You should also verify the bug can be reproduced on amd-staging-drm-next, and ideally you would bisect to find what commit introduced this bug/regression.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post

My Envy x360 13" does not show freesync compatibility in the radeon settings in W10 as far as i know (i usually only boot it to update BIOS). Would that change if i edit EDID or is there something more to it? Or does Adaptive Sync work even though radeon settings says no freesync support?
            You have to edit the EDID. After that you can enable Freesync in Radeon settings.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

No freesync support for hdmi monitors. DVI does not have freesync at all. Only displayport is supported.
              Lol, I've totally hugged up this time, I bought freesync HdmiOnlyMonitor because amdgpu freesync support come
              maybe later will come

Comment

The code does account for HDMI, DisplayPort and eDP connectors:
                Code:
                diff --git a/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm.c b/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm.c
                index f4fa40c..0b392bf 100644
                --- a/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm.c
                +++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm.c
                @@ -4082,7 +4082,8 @@ void amdgpu_dm_connector_init_helper(struct amdgpu_display_manager *dm,
                 	}

if (connector_type == DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_HDMIA ||
                -	    connector_type == DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_DisplayPort) {
                +	    connector_type == DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_DisplayPort ||
                +	    connector_type == DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_eDP) {
                 		drm_connector_attach_vrr_capable_property(
                 			&aconnector->base);
                 	}
                --
                https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...620f71eb2ab983

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                more like by spec. eDP is still Displayport and it has to support Adaptive Sync.
                That Adaptive-Sync is part of the spec doesn't mean that every monitor needs to support a nontrivial range.

Comment

That Adaptive-Sync is part of the spec doesn't mean that every monitor needs to support a nontrivial range.
                  So "by accident" you mean that they actually happen to support nontrivial ranges of adaptive sync by unrelated reasons? I'm curious of what you meant.

Comment

"by accident" = unintended by manufacturer, lucky customers

I mean that with some panels, the EDID trick will not work because they genuinely do not support Adaptive-Sync.
                    While with others, it seems that the manufacturer had Adaptive-Sync capable panels which they did not intend to sell with Adaptive-Sync functionality, however overriding the EDID makes Adaptive-Sync work.

Comment

Still missing the auto rotate screen function for mobile Raven Ridge

Comment

Working...
                      X