AMDGPU Fixes For Linux 5.0 Include FreeSync/VRR Properties For eDP Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Fixes For Linux 5.0 Include FreeSync/VRR Properties For eDP Displays

Phoronix: AMDGPU Fixes For Linux 5.0 Include FreeSync/VRR Properties For eDP Displays

The latest batch of AMDGPU graphics driver fixes were sent out on Tuesday for the Linux 5.0 kernel, including a fix for the FreeSync/VRR support that was merged at the start of this cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to hear that not enabling freesync for laptop eDP, was just a single line fix. I have a Raven HP Envy wich supports freesync on windows. I'll surely test this as soon as it lands in rawhide kernel.

Thanks!

Comment

I reported the bug and it got fixed very quickly but i didnt expect that it will land in 5.0 time. Very nice. Will test once i edit my EDID.

Comment

With the freesync coming in this kernel/driver versions going to allow you to run a game on the VRR screen while having other screens connected on the desktop or will it require you to disable other screens also?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          With the freesync coming in this kernel/driver versions going to allow you to run a game on the VRR screen while having other screens connected on the desktop or will it require you to disable other screens also?
          was about to ask the same after reading the NV-report ^^
          Would love to have it on a per-screen basis

Comment

Does anyone know if there are plans/patches for the x11 modesettings driver or will I always have to install xf86-video-amdgpu?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              FreeSync is supported on select laptops with eDP displays, but not nearly as common as it is to the masses of FreeSync (and now Adaptive-Sync) monitors out there for desktops.
              Actually, it may be more common than you think. As FreeSync uses Adaptive-Sync which originally comes from laptop panels, many of those support this "by accident".

Some laptops like the HP Envy x360 15z support FreeSync, even though it is not mentioned in marketing material anywhere.
              Others like the Huawei Matebook D (Ryzen Edition) support FreeSync even though not advertised by the EDID even. However with a custom EDID you can get FreeSync to work (at least in Windows).

agd5f
              Now reading the code, I wonder whether FreeSync will also work on Linux if you connect a FreeSync HDMI monitor via DVI->HDMI adapter to a DVI output? This works on Windows.
              Last edited by chithanh; 06 February 2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

now make it work on hdmi, my monitor is waiting for it

Comment

Freesync is nice and all but I'd prefer to be able to turn my monitors off and turn them on again without amdgpu module crashing over variable refresh-rate. This has been a problem since kernel 4.18.20. Could someone please share with me what did they mean by this:

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Do not destroy you monitor power button, control the monitor with software. I made a panel launcher for this script:
                    Monitor buttons do not explode when they are pressed. And it doesn't matter if they are turned off with dpms or not, the result is the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X