AMD Submits Initial AMDGPU Graphics Driver Improvements Ahead Of Linux 5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Submits Initial AMDGPU Graphics Driver Improvements Ahead Of Linux 5.1

Phoronix: AMD Submits Initial AMDGPU Graphics Driver Improvements Ahead Of Linux 5.1

The initial batch of new AMDGPU feature changes slated for the Linux 5.1 were sent out on Friday evening for staging in DRM-Next until the 5.1 kernel merge window opens at the end of February or early March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PCIe bandwidth usage would be particularly useful for debugging external GPU bottlenecking. I don't know how many eGPU on Linux users there are, but I'm glad to see this feature added. I actually don't think the Windows driver exposes this (nvidia has had it since forever on both OSes, though).

Comment

That's actually a lot of cool changes.
      I forget - have we seen benchmarks of PowerPlay vs the old DPM?

Comment

No one truly cares as 99% of the work is for Vega 10 or newer.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Well its nice to be no one.

Worthless post is worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post

Well its nice to be no one
            Another no one reporting in. =)

Comment

- Support for Delta Color Compression (DCC) on scanout surfaces.
              this should improve performance, right?

Comment

I'm looking forward to NAVI hoping for day1 Linux driver support (that rx590 episode hopefully woke up everybody involved).

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                  this should improve performance, right?
                  DCC is a technique for improving effective memory bandwidth and from what I can tell this is improvement to how it can be used. AMD's lower end cards are obviously going to be the main recipients of any performance benefit due to the higher end ones having massive memory bandwidth thanks to HBM and the massively wide buses that go with it (2048 lanes when planar memory very rarely goes beyond 384, 256 being the most common bus width). Not that there aren't cases where even HBM equipped cards become memory bandwidth constrained, 4k gaming being the obvious use case.

Comment

It's more like the inverse... People do not care much about Vega, and tha

*display freezes for 10 seconds*

t

's

wh

*enough of this freezing! reboots system because they don't even have a proper GPU recover mechanism*

It's more like the inverse... People do not care much about Vega, and that's why it has some bugs that really disturb me. For example,- wait, I'll be back.

*turns off monitor*

*takes a cup of coffee, then turns on monitor*

*no picture*

*argh, screw this. When this happens there is no way out, other than rebooting, and therefore losing my work!*

Comment

Working...
                    X