AMD Posts 138 Linux Driver Patches, Bringing Up New SMU Block For Future GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    the community is still bending over for the NVidia proprietary driver.
    Sadly NVIDIA are the only company making video cards for 4k@60fps gaming, or 1440p 144hz if you will.

I can give you a BIG list of games that struggle to get 60fps at 4k even on my water cooled 1080ti... AMD's rad7 doesn't beat that from what I understand.,

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Sadly NVIDIA are the only company making video cards for 4k@60fps gaming, or 1440p 144hz if you will.

I can give you a BIG list of games that struggle to get 60fps at 4k even on my water cooled 1080ti... AMD's rad7 doesn't beat that from what I understand.,
      What GPU you got then? The 2080ti don't do 4k 60fps in all titles either.

Comment

I actually said 1080TI MINI, its watercooled in a ITX case but seems to run stable up to 2025mhz core, and 6000 or so memory speed. ANYWAY, I was talking about its hard to get 60fps in some games even when being conservative with settings. I never run games on ultra or have huge FSAA/BLUR settings. Also I almost always look for optimization mods and tweaks.

Yes the 2080TI doesn't get 60fps in all titles also, that's true and a bit of a shame. But keep in mind AMD is quite far below these cards atm, so you will be lucky to get 30-40fps in the same situations. Which is a deal breaker, 45-55fps with freesync is workable however (1080TI).

In saying that, still waiting for freesync gsync compat drivers under Linux!!!

I'll list some games that have issues below.

FO4 (area specific, but quite common)
        SkyrimSE "" also when modded
        Fallout76 ""
        Kingdom Come Deliverence (real challenge, even at 1440p it has huge fps drops at times).
        I've also noticed some lower framerates with things like Pathfinder Kingmaker and a few others....

There is actually allot more, atm I'm sort of only sticking to playing a couple games at a time so its been a while since I've gone over them all to check out the current situation.
        Last edited by theriddick; 25 January 2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I have w 4k TV that can push 60fps... and frankly I don't really care about gaming at 4k yet. And most people won't until a mainstream GPU can do it.

Comment

SR-IOV is a closely guarded tech and I highly doubt us unwashed mass's will get it regardless of how useful.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              16 GB of memory is nice to have, but not what I would call "highly desirable".
              surely it is more desirable than "make unplayable fps in two games" button

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                luckily nobody cares because people buy manstream cards

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  luckily nobody cares because people buy manstream cards
                  Anybody who likes and plays at 4k cares. Or those 144hz crazy people.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Where is your big list of struggling 4K OpenGL games? 144Hz is for pro gaming and they use the virus hoover.
                    I'm barely a gamer at all and definitely not a pro, but I use a 120 Hz monitor and I'd never go back. My office monitor make me cry, while my home monitor take me back to the responsiveness of old CRTs screens.

Since the '80s I've used various monitors and switching from CRT to flat LCD it was a sidegrade/downgrade (better for the eyes, worse for the responsiveness, same for resolution) and cranking up in resolution changed nothing, as DPI stayed the same until recent years (say 5 years), the only thing that "wowed" me was switching to my 120Hz monitor.

I've also tried 144Hz and didn't see a noticeable difference, but the 250Hz is a whole another level. Try them at your tech shop (mediamarkt/bestbuy/whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

- Euro Truck Simulator 2 Demo
                      - Project: Gordon Demo
                      - War Thunder
                      - Sanctum 2
                      - Rocket League
                      - The Talos of Principle 64-bit with OpenGL API
                      - Tomb Raider 2013
                      - Saints Row 2
                      Well you can include proton games in that list too, but those games you listed are probably old enough to work fine, except Warthunder which has performance issues due to what their done to the OpenGL component of the game (downgraded it to 3.3 I believe).

Oh and TR2013 I can confirm that gets real messy in many areas in opengl, if you are going by BENCHMARK results then your being misled, actual gameplay tells a completely different story.

Lately I've only been playing KCD, Kingmaker, PillarsOfEternity2, KCD is proton, Kingmaker on the other hand runs OK at 4k but there are parts of the game that really tank hard. POE2 so far is running really well...

ATM I play vulkan Warthunder with the following argument (if your using xfce, to avoid the blackscreen issue).
                      Not sure if the -renderer:vulkan argument works to be honest, might need config file editing.

sh -c '(xfwm4 --replace --sm-client-disable&sleep 2&&killall xfwm4&&cd "$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/War Thunder"&&DRI_PRIME=1 ./linux64/aces -forcestart -renderer:vulkan);xfwm4&'

Comment

Working...
                      X