No announcement yet.

AMD Posts 138 Linux Driver Patches, Bringing Up New SMU Block For Future GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts 138 Linux Driver Patches, Bringing Up New SMU Block For Future GPUs

Phoronix: AMD Posts 138 Linux Driver Patches, Bringing Up New SMU Block For Future GPUs

AMD Linux graphics driver developers this morning posted a set of 138 patches introducing a new software SMU driver that is geared for "future ASICs."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do hope that they are equally targeting Ryzen Mobile. While better than ever the GPU still isn’t reliable on this platform. I’m assuming the GPU here due to the screen lock upon s.

Comment

If the Radeon VII has SR-IOV support I will get one before Navi is out otherwise I'll wait for a better price/performance/powerdraw Navi card similar to the rx570 or rx580 is today.

There are rumors that Radeon VII is actually a Instinct MI50, it can do 64FP 1,680 GFLOPS which is 3.2 times faster than RTX Titan which is what makes me wonder about SR-IOV. Tom's Hardware (which I don't value much these days) goes a step further: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...led,38437.html

The only comments I could find online was this: https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/stat...74168835289088

Comment

While SR-IOV on the Radeon VII would be absolutely wonderful, I am not optimistic. And a problem is that display outputs will not work while SR-IOV is active.

Imagine if there were a display controller on the AMD Mantisse I/O die, and SR-IOV support in Radeon VII, that would be a fantastic match.
        But then reality sets in, and AMD released something which roughly performs like the GTX 1080 Ti in games, at roughly the same price, but with higher power consumption, and none of the highly desirable features that would give them an edge over the GeForce competition.

Comment

While it is essentially a Instinct MI50, I expect they will differentiate the consumer product from the enterprise product the usual way, which are things like disabling SR-IOV and crippling the double precision floating point performance.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            and none of the highly desirable features
            like 16gb of memory or real linux driver?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I do hope that they are equally targeting Ryzen Mobile. While better than ever the GPU still isn’t reliable on this platform. I’m assuming the GPU here due to the screen lock upon s.
              I really hope they do. Ryzen mobile support would be totally amazing.

Comment

Add the still missing Linux driver for their Integrated Sensor Fusion HUB with the strangely lack of documentation.

Comment

The only words I wanna hear from AMD is very-high / top tier, in regards to GPU's....

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    like 16gb of memory
                    16 GB of memory is nice to have, but not what I would call "highly desirable".
                    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    or real linux driver?
                    Personally, I would not buy a card without proper open source drivers. But I question the general value of this as long as the community is still bending over for the NVidia proprietary driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                    X