Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    vrr_capable=0 means that it is not supported
    Missing the parameter with eDP means that there is no support in the driver or hardware. With RX570:
    Code:
    DisplayPort-0 connected 3840x2160+0+0
    vrr_capable: 1
    HDMI-A-0 disconnected
    vrr_capable: 0
    DVI-D-0 disconnected
    no vrr_capable variable available
    VEGA 8 has support for freesync as people got it working on this exact laptop on windows with little EDID edit which i will do on linux too.
    vrr_capable on HDMI is because there is nothing connected to it.
    Maybe its the initial implementation that doesnt have support for iGPU i guess.
    I hope i will get it working because freesync can help here a looot
    Last edited by Haxk20; 01-22-2019, 06:55 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

I wish I could agree to the article's statement, but I cannot. It still only takes me minutes to reproduce the crash bug reported in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102322" on the latest git head version, a bug that has haunted amdgpu for about 18 months now.

And as I already mentioned in another thread, there is a power usage regression in 5.0, again, with weird minimum clocks indicating that dynamic power management is still acting randomly:

> cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device

> xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2160 --rate 30
      > echo manual >power_dpm_force_performance_level
      > echo 0 >pp_dpm_mclk
      > echo 0 >pp_dpm_sclk
      > grep -H \\* pp_dpm_mclk pp_dpm_sclk
      pp_dpm_mclk:0: 300Mhz *
      pp_dpm_sclk:0: 214Mhz *

> xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2160 --rate 50
      > echo 0 >pp_dpm_mclk
      > echo 0 >pp_dpm_sclk
      pp_dpm_mclk:1: 1750Mhz *
      pp_dpm_sclk:1: 481Mhz *

> xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2160 --rate 60
      > echo 0 >pp_dpm_mclk
      > echo 0 >pp_dpm_sclk
      pp_dpm_mclk:0: 300Mhz *
      pp_dpm_sclk:6: 1180Mhz *

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
        Nope.
        When you connect two monitors, the GPU uses more power.

Pro gamers (people who compete and earn money playing games) don't use Linux. Almost every big streamer (people who make money playing games, thus also "pro gamers") uses multiscreen setups.
        Pro-gamers do not use multiscreen setups in e-sport events. Worlds richest player:

There are a lot of reasons to compile mesa by yourself. Native gcc optimizations, including/removing specific drivers, using out-of-tree patches (I had freesync long before you got it in oibaf) etc.
        I did compile Oibaf ppa Mesa with freesynch patches about one week after your git issue of wine games. Native gcc optimization is not portable.including/removing specific drivers, using out-of-tree patches: not worth doing it and wasting time.

If you read the code and docs you'll see there is no difference between "performance" governor and removing governor completely. Both let the bios control frequencies directly.
        Cpu freq governor is an optional feature of the Linux kernel, read the docs. Every active line of code uses CPU cycles, in other words slows down.
        Last edited by debianxfce; 01-24-2019, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          And as I already mentioned in another thread, there is a power usage regression in 5.0, again, with weird minimum clocks indicating that dynamic power management is still acting randomly:
          Use the amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff kernel command line parameter to fix the constant engine clock at 4K60Hz bug.

Comment

No changes in the idle governor. The CPU frequency governor slows down and is an optional feature of the Linux kernel so remove it. Using the Bios is a better way to control CPU power and fans. Power consumption depends of your other hardware too.
            Indeed, but what I was talking about is the Power draw for each power profile..
            In Linux is like crazy, on that mater..

On Windows for example, there are better tunned profiles, and the AMD cards consume less power than in Linux, exactly because of the Power profiles..
            This for me should be one of the next key steps, for AMD,
            Because it doesn´t mater if your driver is more performant, if it his consuming tons of power, then the "Better Driver", is something difficult to classify..
            A 2 step way is needed like a loop, on each iteration
            1. Features
            2. Optimization

Comment

vrr_capable=0 means that it is not supported
              Missing the parameter with eDP means that there is no support in the driver or hardware. With RX570:
              Code:
              DisplayPort-0 connected 3840x2160+0+0
              vrr_capable: 1
              HDMI-A-0 disconnected
              vrr_capable: 0
              DVI-D-0 disconnected
              no vrr_capable variable available
              issue has been fixed. it was a bug. i know my VEGA 8 in ryzen 5 2500U supports it and rx560x does too so it must be supported on linux too. reported it and its fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                Rebooted. Getting vrr_capable in xrandr, but I though there should be an vrr_enabled entry as well but there's not. Glxinfo is reporting Mesa 19.0-git as expected(
                The patch series went through quite a few iterations where properties came and went, I think that property was removed in the end and the Xorg.conf setting was added.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                  With a single 4K 60Hz monitor there is no bug.
                  I can confirm fixed SCLK clock on a RX 560 with a singe 4K @60Hz monitor without amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff kernel parameter.

Comment

Working...
                  X