Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    You might want to try the drm patch in bug 21849:

Dave just pushed it to Linus in his last round of drm fixes.
    Okay, I applied the patch to vanilla 2.6.30-rc8, compiled and installed the whole thing. Now I'll wait and see ...

Comment

Did you see the drm intel changes in rc8-git1?

Comment

Lockups still there.

Five minutes ago I wanted to write about how things were looking promising but than ... it happened again!

Until you come up with another idea or patch, I will continue using the patched 2.6.30-rc8 kernel. By tomorrow I should know if the lockups at least happen less frequently.

Comment

After a few days of monitoring, I have to say that this patch does not help. I compared kernel 2.6.30-rc8's (patched) drm module (1) to the one checked out from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm (2). I still have to test the unpatched kernel-2.6.30-module.

(1) usually crashes after 30-45 minutes.

(2) usually crashes after 60-90 minutes.

One time, (1) crashed about one minute after logging in. To be more precise, the first opened window after login triggered the freeze. (2) gives me at least 20 minutes before freezing.

The longest period of uninterrupted use with (1) was about 2 hours. (2) sometimes (very rarely) lets me work for 4 to 6 hours before a freeze occurs.

Freezes are always triggered by some kind of interaction with the GUI (opening, closing or switching tabs in Firefox, clicking on links, opening and closing other windows with or without Firefox running etc.) I can build huge software packages that keep compiling for hours as long as I leave the machine alone. I can also watch several two-hour-movies one after another without having to reboot. But browsing the web for half an hour always feels like gambling.

When the system is frozen (again), there is no moving the mouse pointer, no ssh'ing into the machine, no CTRL-Alt-Backspace, no Magic-SysRq-Keys. I have to press and hold the On/Off-Button to switch the computer off.

Comment

I feel like being ignored. The problem is still there. Any new suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormking View Post
              I feel like being ignored. The problem is still there. Any new suggestions?
              Happens to me too. I gave up and just use XAA instead of EXA.

Comment

Sorry, but agd5f is on vacation and does not have computer access. He's not actually ignoring you
                Last edited by bridgman; 22 June 2009, 12:43 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Sorry, but agd5f is on vacation and does not have computer access.
                  Something like that should not be allowed as long as there are critical bugs! ;-)

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  He's not actually ignoring you
                  You mean, he's not *actively* ignoring me.

Comment

BTW, does anyone even know what the problem is?
                    Is it radeonhd/radeon? Mesa? DRM?

:S

Comment

Originally posted by hugommg View Post
                      Happens to me too. I gave up and just use XAA instead of EXA.
                      That's not an option for me as I use rotation and XAA is painfully slow, this way.

Comment

Working...
                      X