No announcement yet.

random X freeze with latest ati driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was getting random lockups on Debian with an X800GT using the xserver-xorg-ati-video_6.9.0 driver, back dating the driver to 6.6.3-2 from debian 4.0 completely cured the problem.
    Have not tried the latest version "If its not broken, don't fix it"

Comment

I've tried reversing the change to the RADEON_SWITCH_TO_2D and RADEON_SWITCH_TO_3D calls in 6.11.0 and added the scissor register reset code back in. This time Xserver bricked about 1 second after starting. Way to go, me!

Comment

You might try an updated mesa. Looks like we weren't setting the number of pipes properly in mesa for r3xx-r4xx cards. I've fixed this in mesa master and the 7.4 branch.

Comment

does this patch help?

It's against the r6xx-r7xx-support branch of the drm, but you should be able to apply it to other drms easily (just two lines to add).

Comment

Sorry, no. Neither an updated mesa nor the libdrm improvement seemed to help.

Comment

Originally posted by DuSTman View Post
              Sorry, no. Neither an updated mesa nor the libdrm improvement seemed to help.
              Just to clarify, this isn't a change to libdrm, it's a change to the radeon drm kernel module. Make sure you build and install the kernel modules (cd linux-core; make drm.o radeon.ko; cp drm.ko radeon.ko /path/to/your/kernel/modules) rather than libdrm.

Comment

Sorry about that - unfortunately the updated kernel modules don't seem to help either.

Comment

Several people have reported improved behavior using the drm-next branch of Dave's drm-2.6 tree.

Comment

Again, no joy.

Comment

Hi there
                      I recently encountered this problem with Ubuntu jaunty beta release.

System repeatingly freezes with Kwin Desktop Effects on after 10-30 Minutes mostly when opening new windows/sub-windows (ie "browse file").
                      With Desktop effects off everything works absolutely fine, can run glexgears, vlc 720p movie and Goofge earth at the same time for hours...... .

Besides that I have massive tearing issues with Kwin + Desktop Effects and google earth - any ideas?

Bug is files under Ubuntu #351990 and 350766

greetz

Comment

Working...
                      X