Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon ROCm 2.0 Officially Out With OpenCL 2.0 Support, TensorFlow 1.12, Vega 48-bit VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 2.0 Officially Out With OpenCL 2.0 Support, TensorFlow 1.12, Vega 48-bit VA

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 2.0 Officially Out With OpenCL 2.0 Support, TensorFlow 1.12, Vega 48-bit VA

Just in time for Christmas, the Radeon Open Compute "ROCm" 2.0 Linux stack is now available for AMD GPU computing needs with OpenCL 2.0, TensorFlow 1.12, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great release. Things keep getting better and better for AMD open source efforts.

Still saddened that Tonga is not supported though. Or that GFX8 hardware needs atomics, while GFX7 and GHX9 do not... I hope this changes in the future. As a Piledriver + Tonga owner, i am a little unlucky here... LOL.

Comment

As of new informations I do asnwer to

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
      Does anyone know if ROCm/HSA has taken off somewhere ?

Around me, I see people using Cuda or OpenCL. No ROCm/HSA.
      form
      Phoronix: AMD's ROCm 2.0 Radeon Compute Stack Being Prepared For Release Last month AMD commented they would be releasing ROCm 2.0 prior to the end of 2018 and it looks like they will make good on their word. ROCm 2.0 is being prepared for release - source code is available albeit the reference Ubuntu/RHEL binaries are not yet

It is Capable to use openCL (and indirectly CUDA )

But it is big step

Radeon ROCm 1.9.1 vs. NVIDIA OpenCL Linux Plus RTX 2080 TensorFlow Benchmarks form 13 December 2018
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A ROCm 1.x.y supports only openCL 1.2

On November 15, 2011, the Khronos Group announced the OpenCL 1.2 specification

and ROCm 2.x.y support openCL2.0

On November 18, 2013, the Khronos Group announced the ratification and public release of the finalized OpenCL 2.0 specification

But openCL2.0 and later supports fast data transfer as HSA do with anticipated performance rise as of

from
      AMD recently introduced another model in its A-series APU family called the A10-7800. While we already know a lot about the Kaveri architecture, this particular chip's power profile makes it more interesting than the performance-oriented incarnations.

Comment

Big news. People been waiting on this opencl 2 shit for a long time.

Comment

This is great. Makes AMD 1 major leap closer toward obsoleting the closed-source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
            Big news. People been waiting on this opencl 2 shit for a long time.
            Until it gets built into distributions like Debian it doesn't exist. The entire stack guts Clang/LLVM on Debian primer and I can't imagine it doesn't do the same for Ubuntu.

Comment

It would be good news if they actually supported older hardware as well - I mean, the Radeon HD 6290 sitting in one of my old computers would like OpenCL support, as would my R9 390 that's also capable of OpenCL 2.0 - but isn't supported by ROCm.

Comment

Stop complaining and buy Navi.

Comment

Hey Michael, do you have any plans to benchmark TensorFlow with it? I don't know enough about it to contribute some tests (though I heard there was a container for ROCm + TensorFlow somewhere), but I know some people that would be interested in the results

Comment

Still no support for Raven Ridge. Currently using OpenCL from Radeon Software 18.50 on Fedora 29.

Comment

Working...
                    X