Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Vega 10 Linux GPU Hangs? Try Rolling Back The Firmware

Phoronix: Having Vega 10 Linux GPU Hangs? Try Rolling Back The Firmware

If you recently installed the Radeon Software 18.50 Linux driver package or recently updated your system's firmware from the linux-firmware.git tree and experiencing GPU hangs with Radeon "Vega 10" graphics hardware, the firmware may be to blame...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    but for now its best with Vega 10 to stick to the older firmware files.
    I'm using the firmware from 2018-06-06 (d114732) and it works great.

Comment

Is anyone playing LiS: Before the Storm on Vega 64 and doesn't get regular GPU hangs?

Comment

I think I was hit by this. Reverting now.

Comment

I've been getting regular GPU hangs in CS:GO on my Vega 64. I was also hit by this firmware bug and have rolled back, but that's a separate issue.

Comment

I experienced some GPU hangs on my R9 Fury while playing No Man's Sky, but am unsure where to report it... Unfortunately, I dfidsn't receive an answer on #amdgpu

Comment

A new Firmware package was released (at least on Manjaro) linux firmware 20181218.0f22c85-0 solves the problem again (it has the commit for Vega10 reverted)

The problem was that GPU hangs occured as soon as GUI should start during boot and system got unresponsive.

Comment

Got hit by this and had to boot from USB stick to revert.
                System would not even boot.
                Fortunately log was created so i could pinpoint the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  I experienced some GPU hangs on my R9 Fury while playing No Man's Sky, but am unsure where to report it... Unfortunately, I dfidsn't receive an answer on #amdgpu
                  On my Tonga gpu No Man's Sky didn't hang at all at any point in my playthrough with MESA 18.3.1 and latest stable kernel, BUT, performance is all over the place even if you lower the settings, it appears to go smoothly at places and gets severe fps slowdowns in other places.

Comment

Just tried the December 13th build of Suse Tumbleweed last weekend with a Polaris 10 card. The distro was still on Mesa 18.1.7 by default. So far so good. But once I installed Mesa 18.3.1 from the Suse Factory repo, the booting process stopped with a hard lockup where the GUI was supposed to start. Ah, Linux makes sometimes such a unfinished and untested impression... but Windows 10 Insider Previews (and even stable releases) are no longer that much better though.

Comment

Working...
                    X