Radeon Software 18.50 vs. Linux 4.20 + Mesa 19 Benchmarks On The AMD RX 590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software 18.50 vs. Linux 4.20 + Mesa 19 Benchmarks On The AMD RX 590

Phoronix: Radeon Software 18.50 vs. Linux 4.20 + Mesa 19 Benchmarks On The AMD RX 590

While Windows users last week were greeted by the Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 driver on the Linux side was the Radeon Software for Linux 18.50 release. The only listed public change for this 18.50 Linux hybrid driver build was RHEL 7.6 support, but I've since been able to test and confirm that the Radeon RX 590 is working with this new Linux driver package. As a result, here is a look at the Radeon RX 590 performance from this "AMDGPU-PRO" driver build compared to the latest open-source driver stack in the form of Linux 4.20 with Mesa 19.0-devel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow .... the open source driver is unbelievably fast on the rx 590

Comment

I am not surprised! When AMD is going to provide a graphical interface for Mesa and done with their miserable closed-driver?!

Comment

Well done AMD.

Comment

As has been stated several times, the main use case for the closed source OpenGL driver is workstation applications that required a certified driver. The vast majority of users should use the open source OpenGL driver. Also note that the packaged driver releases contain both the fully open stack and the optional closed source add on components (e.g., closed source OpenGL for workstation).

Comment

I wonder what it would take for the FOSS driver to be certified the way the blob is?

Comment

Realy GREAT numbers for Mesa radeonsi.

FWIW
              I found a regression in latest Mesa git (after commit #e4f9a37ace) with RADV (Vulkan) DXVK 0.93 and 0.94 (D3D11) running my sons brand new LS2019. All heaven textures are gone and some others are wrong.
              Currently bisecting.

Greetings,
              Dieter

Comment

Nice to know,
                Great work Michael.

I would like to see 18.50 vs Rocm on OpenCL, specially for RX580/590, so that we can figure out the speed of both cards and opencl stacks..

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  I wonder what it would take for the FOSS driver to be certified the way the blob is?
                  PRO SSG card and WXes needs to work nice with apps such are Maya, Houdini, Discovery Studio, Marc, Motionbuilder, Mudbox, Patran, SimXpert...

It is certified driver builds for certified apps on certified OS versions, certified etc...

Maybe these latest points of Mesa releases have chance to be certified. But again you can't certify source only particular builds of a driver, also running one particular app version, on particular OS version too, etc... you need to give 99.9% guarantee point that it is working you know, ultra stability over performance
                  Last edited by dungeon; 18 December 2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

PRO SSG card and WXes needs to work nice with apps such are Maya, Houdini, Discovery Studio, Marc, Motionbuilder, Mudbox, Patran, SimXpert...

It is certified driver builds for certified apps on certified OS versions, certified etc...

Maybe these latest points of Mesa releases have chance to be certified. But again you can't certify source only particular builds of a driver, also running one particular app version, on particular OS version too, etc... you need to give 99.9% guarantee point that it is working you know, ultra stability over performance
                    All very true, I do wonder when the tipping point will be when it becomes more of a burden to have the closed driver

Comment

Working...
                    X