Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vega 12 Firmware Lands Along With RX 590 Polaris Bits, Updated Zen CPU Microcode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega 12 Firmware Lands Along With RX 590 Polaris Bits, Updated Zen CPU Microcode

Phoronix: Vega 12 Firmware Lands Along With RX 590 Polaris Bits, Updated Zen CPU Microcode

A big serving of AMD firmware/microcode updates landed on Friday in the linux-firmware.git canonical tree for both AMD Zen processors and Radeon graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

Comment

Cool. Testing right now and well system is kind of faster in some cases (Ryzen 5 2500U (Raven Ridge) + RX560X). Will test some games.

Comment

On the Radeon GPU firmware side is SMC firmware and MC firmware needed for properly initializing the Radeon RX 590. These firmware blobs plus what will be Linux 4.20 or newer
        Phoronix: AMDGPU For Linux 4.20 Gets The Final Radeon RX 590 Fix, Adds The New Vega PCI IDs With just over one week to go until the expected Linux 4.20 kernel release, Alex Deucher of AMD today sent in the latest batch of fixes to the DRM tree for landing at the end of this cycle... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_i

Comment

Previous microcode_amd_fam17h.bin contained microcode for a single proc_id only:
          Code:
          [   44.114428] microcode: verify_and_add_patch: Added patch_id: 0x08001227, proc_id: 0x8012
          The updated microcode_amd_fam17h.bin just adds microcode for another proc_id:
          Code:
          [   44.127941] microcode: verify_and_add_patch: Added patch_id: 0x08001227, proc_id: 0x8012
          [   44.127948] microcode: verify_and_add_patch: Added patch_id: 0x0800820b, proc_id: 0x8082
          (microcode for 0x8012 hasn't changed).

Comment

if i compiled the kernel correct. There is also no change for Raven Rigde APU - AMD Athlon 200GE
            Still
            [ 5.111233] microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x0810100b

Comment

I guess I can finally give up the hope for Vulkan and video acceleration at the same time for GCN1.0. What a shame for an architecture that still got new GPU releases in 2014. That was the last information I had https://www.spinics.net/lists/amd-gfx/msg13826.html

Is it ok to send Christian König an email asking if it's burried for good?
              Last edited by Namenlos; 16 December 2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
                Is it ok to send Christian König an email asking if it's burried for good?
                As long as it isn't rude or angry at him, yeah sure.

Comment

Anyone else having issues with this ?

kernel-firmware-20181215_211de16-noarch-1 don't work, kernel-firmware-20181026_1baa348-noarch-1 works
                  it starts booting then the screen goes black and it enters some kind of power cycle loop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
                  Vega FE

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
                    Anyone else having issues with this ?

kernel-firmware-20181215_211de16-noarch-1 don't work, kernel-firmware-20181026_1baa348-noarch-1 works
                    it starts booting then the screen goes black and it enters some kind of power cycle loop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
                    Vega FE
                    For me on Manjaro it is linux-firmware 20181216.211de16-1 that fails with the same symptoms and linux-firmware 20181026.1cb4e51-1 that works.
                    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
                    Asus ROG Strix Vega 64

Not sure what the issue is. Xorg Log and journalctl don't show any errors for the failed boot attempts.

Comment

Working...
                    X