Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Rolls Out While Linux Users Should Have AMDGPU-PRO 18.50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Rolls Out While Linux Users Should Have AMDGPU-PRO 18.50

Phoronix: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Rolls Out While Linux Users Should Have AMDGPU-PRO 18.50

AMD today released their Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition geared for Windows gamers while Linux users should have AMDGPU-PRO 18.50 available shortly for those wanting to use this hybrid Vulkan/OpenGL driver component that does also feature the AMDGPU-Open components too in their stable but dated composition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a RX 590 arriving either today or tomorrow (depending on FedEx because they already screwed up). I've not had an AMD GPU since the HD 5000 series so I'm totally out of the loop on what the difference between the open AMDGPU drivers and the AMDGPU-PRO drivers. Specifically is there a performance difference between the two? If the 18.50 drivers come out today with the necessary patches should I use them for now until a patched kernel is available? Advice / opinions appreciated.

Comment

At this point, the most important thing we need is to get the AMD drivers off of the blacklist of Firefox and Google browser. The drivers should be, I hope, feature-rich enough at this point where AMD devs can get this done without too much effort.

In terms of performance increases, this has to be one of the biggest for what most people use their computers for: Browsing the internet.

Comment

This is great news, however on my RX 560 4G OC anything newer than mesa 18.0 runs like utter crap... all kinds of artifacts and tearing, leaving it basically impossible to use my system. (in particular KDE). Switched to AMD for a better experience, and honestly, i think the crap i had to deal with on my old nvidia card was better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
          This is great news, however on my RX 560 4G OC anything newer than mesa 18.0 runs like utter crap... all kinds of artifacts and tearing, leaving it basically impossible to use my system. (in particular KDE). Switched to AMD for a better experience, and honestly, i think the crap i had to deal with on my old nvidia card was better than this.
          That doesn't make any sense... what distro are you using? Kernel version?

Comment

Originally posted by robertpartridge View Post
            I have a RX 590 arriving either today or tomorrow (depending on FedEx because they already screwed up). I've not had an AMD GPU since the HD 5000 series so I'm totally out of the loop on what the difference between the open AMDGPU drivers and the AMDGPU-PRO drivers. Specifically is there a performance difference between the two? If the 18.50 drivers come out today with the necessary patches should I use them for now until a patched kernel is available? Advice / opinions appreciated.
            Generally the AMDGPU and RADV combo are best (the latest version), probably the DC drivers are what you want for freesync but I dunno when they officially come out (MESA 19 is it). In saying that some games work better on AMDGPU-PRO, luckily you can install both I think and switch in between with a X restart (if memory serves me right).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Generally the AMDGPU and RADV combo are best (the latest version), probably the DC drivers are what you want for freesync but I dunno when they officially come out (MESA 19 is it). In saying that some games work better on AMDGPU-PRO, luckily you can install both I think and switch in between with a X restart (if memory serves me right).
              This doesn't really make sense, as amdgpu (lowercase I think) is the kernel module, which is the same between AMDGPU-PRO (the proprietary OpenGL and Vulkan driver) and radeonsi (the Mesa OpenGL driver) + RADV.

robertpartridge , you have a few options:

* The "all-open" stack: radeonsi and radv
              * The "all-closed" stack: AMDGPU-PRO
              * Some hybrid of the two

In all cases, you can keep the amdgpu kernel module, which is nice.
              radeonsi as the OpenGL driver is the one that will give you better performance in the overwhelming majority of cases, and is advised by AMD developers, unless you have some very, very, specific use-cases.

The real choice you have is with regards to the vulkan driver: RADV (open, community) vs AMDVLK (open, AMD). AMDVLK can be paired with a proprietary shader compiler (an llvm fork), and can then be a bit faster in some cases. I personally don't bother with AMDVLK, especially as RADV has all the goodies, and is simpler to manage.

If you want OpenCL, ROCm still has some proprietary (or not yet upstreamed in llvm) components for the compiler, IIRC, but that is being worked on...

I would advise you to update to the most recent kernel and mesa you can (padoka ppa if using ubuntu, and maybe Linux 4.19.x) before installing your GPU. First, go with the all-open stack, and see if you have some specific needs that the proprietary driver can provide.

Comment

And, in case you are using any Ubuntu flavor, you might consider using one of the PPAs with updated drivers and mesa. The two most widely used are:
                Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

PLEASE READ: don't email me to report bugs, unless you are sure it's a packaging bug. Not only is email not a good tool for tracking bugs, it also excludes anybody else from tracking or working on the issue. Please read the section "Debugging and reporting problems" below. Also, please don't ask me to include non-free drivers, I won't do it. Patches and suggestions are welcomed. ============= All Ubuntu architectures are supported. Supported Ubuntu versions: - 22.04 (jammy)

I use padoka (the first one) and have good results (vega 56). The oibaf one updates very often.

Again, for ubuntu you might want to use ukuu to get the latest mainline kernel. It also notifies you on updates. I use the latest 4.19.9 and it works well.
                Ever wondered how to install new kernel releases on Ubuntu? Using Ukuu (which stands for 'Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility') is one way to do it. This

Comment

You can't use amdgpu and radeonsi at same time, that makes no sense, lol. You tell xorg to load one or the other.

AMDGPU is not AMDGPU-PRO, there is also the in development amdgpu-dc drivers.
                  (I don't care about case sensitivity for the sake of naming something, lets not be case nazi's)

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                    This could be considered borderline trolling... Plenty of us have been using AMD open source drivers with KDE and we have no such issues. I know bugs could potentially exist but claiming it is "basically impossible to use your system" is trolling, sorry. It is FUD.

Since your gpu is OC, try looking if it has hardware issues first. In my experience OC cards tend to have serious issues and don't last long.

Comment

Working...
                    X