Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Rolls Out While Linux Users Should Have AMDGPU-PRO 18.50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman
    That is, this year the development team was not able to decide how to facilitate the community contribution to AMDVLK? You yourself once mentioned that you would try to solve it ..

Comment

RX 590 has arrived ... still don't know if I have a driver available for it.

Comment

Found this ...

Which leads me to believe that 18.50 does indeed have the RX 590 patches.

Comment

Well this has been a learning experience so far. Turns out the AMDGPU drivers don't play nice with Mint. Was able to get the borked install removed. I've got the system booted using the workaround that was posted the other day so at least I can work on my PC just no playing. When kernel 4.20 rc7 releases I might give it a try as it should have all the patches.

Comment

Originally posted by twriter View Post

Thanks for helping to explain. I just want to clarify a couple of things. There is no "all-closed" stack, hasn't been since fglrx. Since our 17.50 release of AMDGPU-PRO, it includes both All-Open and Pro variants. (Yes, the terminology is confusing.) This is documented here and in the documentation included in the tarball.
            Thanks for the clarifications. I used "all-closed" as a shorthand for the PRO installer, but that URL is handy, and I'll use it in the future.

Originally posted by twriter View Post
            The padoka ppa is a great resource but not everyone wants to risk upgrading so many components, esp. conservative LTS/enterprise users. Our packaged releases should be a great resource for them. The All-Open variant typically provides newer hardware support and and newer Mesa than what is shipped by LTS/enterprise distros. The Pro variant replaces Mesa OpenGL with closed source OpenGL, necessary for some proprietary workstation applications, and adds (closed source) Vulkan and OpenCL. It's also possible to mix and match, e.g. to add OpenCL to the otherwise All-Open variant. We also package (open source) AMDVLK but don't install it by default. We don't package RADV currently.
            That's quite right, although in the special case of the 590, I felt that bleeding edge was really needed, and was unsure whether AMD's releases would include the relevant patches. I was not aware that the "all-open" stack was offered as well on AMD's website, and trough a unified install script (though I usually prefer to stick to distribution packages, to be honest).

Comment

Noticed last night that kernel 4.20 RC7 was released so I decided to give a go at getting the RX 590 working. I installed the kernel using ukuu and downloaded the polaris10_k_mc.bin file to /lib/firmware/amdgpu but when I boot I'm stuck at 640x480 resolution. Turned on the Grub console and snapped this photo - https://i.imgur.com/BTQdZrj.jpg - with the errors I'm receiving . This is all new territory for me so if anyone has any answers or advice I'd love to hear from you.

Comment

Originally posted by robertpartridge View Post
                Noticed last night that kernel 4.20 RC7 was released so I decided to give a go at getting the RX 590 working. I installed the kernel using ukuu and downloaded the polaris10_k_mc.bin file to /lib/firmware/amdgpu but when I boot I'm stuck at 640x480 resolution. Turned on the Grub console and snapped this photo - https://i.imgur.com/BTQdZrj.jpg - with the errors I'm receiving . This is all new territory for me so if anyone has any answers or advice I'd love to hear from you.
                Looks like the driver was not able to find the new firmware. Make sure you update your initrd.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Looks like the driver was not able to find the new firmware. Make sure you update your initrd.
                  Finally had some time to work on this problem again ... I verified that initrd has been updated (turns out ukuu does it when you install a kernel) but I'm continuing to have problems. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by robertpartridge View Post

Finally had some time to work on this problem again ... I verified that initrd has been updated (turns out ukuu does it when you install a kernel) but I'm continuing to have problems. Any other thoughts?
                    If the error message is the same, the driver is still not able to find it.

Comment

I decided to just install Ubuntu since the drivers from AMD work there. Running 18.50 on the 4.19.11 mainline kernel now with everything working fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X