AMD Radeon RX 590 Linux Benchmarks, 18-Way NVIDIA/AMD Gaming Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
    For me, frames/s/W is important. But so is price:.

Edit So value-wise, for me, RX580 and GTX 1070 are on the same level, just different performance-and-cost alternatives. (I hate messing with closed source drivers, and the lock-in those bring, so NVIDIA is not an option, but still an interesting comparison for me.)
    I totally agree with you - I would rather go with open source drivers - in this case, I'm looking at the RX 580, 8gb version. But, two main things bother me and delay my decision. The higher power consumption - it's not as efficient as the compatible Nvidia cards. Also, the GTX 1070 (used) is only a little bit more than the (used) RX 580 - at least, for me. Well, by 'little bit' - it depends how much you can negotiate with a seller. The RX 580 can be a lot cheaper but then the performance still has a bit of a drop-off but the open source drivers option is a real 'nice-to-have.' I also like that the temps will be less than the Nvidia card so that is in its favour.

I think the RX 590 is too new unless you are buying new and retail - and can find a deal...maybe wait for a holiday sale or find a discount someplace for that series of card?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      Really? I can buy a used GTX 1070 for $100 more than a used RX 580 (8GB version). Which is the better buy?
      That depends, do you enjoy hassle-free drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

That depends, do you enjoy hassle-free drivers?
        Yes, I do, actually. What hassles are you speaking about, though?
        I don't think you can deny that the 1070 delivers higher performance, though? At a cost of inconvenience, maybe? Still, lots of people get them for both Windows and Linux gaming.

Comment

Yes, I do, actually. What hassles are you speaking about, though?I don't think you can deny that the 1070 delivers higher performance, though? At a cost of inconvenience, maybe? Still, lots of people get them for both Windows and Linux gaming.
          I used to use the proprietary nvidia drivers and constantly had to deal with my system breaking due to kernel/X updates. It was the same with fglrx, of course. That would be less of a problem for people on older LTS releases or even vendor-supported channels like what system76 offers.
          Last edited by fuzz; 11 December 2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I used to use the proprietary nvidia drivers and constantly had to deal with my system breaking due to kernel/X updates. It was the same with fglrx, of course. That would be less of a problem for people on older LTS releases or even vendor-supported channels like what system76 offers.
            I think the situation is a little better now - it has improved? I don't upgrade my driver enough to properly offer an evaluation (of an experience). I'm considering a GTX 1070 to upgrade to and then I could offer my opinion. I'm conflicted, though, as I would like open source drivers and the easier situation with the RX 580 - but, the increased power consumption... ughhhh...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Not true, performance per dollar is the most important value for a PC builder. RX590 is much better than gtx 1070.
              https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...90-linux&num=7

There is no sense to waste your money to nvidia gpus when RX 3080 is coming. Freesync monitors are cheaper than gsync too. Open source drivers are much comfortable to maintain than closed source drivers.
              But, it is true. What's your evidence that the RX 580 has near-equal performance at 4K with a 1070? I was not talking about performance per dollar. However, I am looking at used cards so that advantage is reduced a bit, at least, in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Here the difference is just 10 fps for a new RX590 or used RX 580. The GTX 1070 is not worth the money even in second hand markets. For a better 4K Linux gaming experience you need the vega 64 class performance and RX 3080 is rumoured to have that.
                So, I'd be completely happy gaming in Linux with a GTX 580 - I'm not talking about 4K in this case - let's just say, 1080p for now - the experience is good? Is this for Steam games or including Windows ones (using Wine)?

Comment

So, I'd be completely happy gaming in Linux with a GTX 580 - I'm not talking about 4K in this case - let's just say, 1080p for now - the experience is good? Is this for Steam games or including Windows ones (using Wine)?
                  I assume you mean RX 580? The experience at 1080p is fantastic. Even 1440p is great, depending on the game.

Comment

I assume you mean RX 580? The experience at 1080p is fantastic. Even 1440p is great, depending on the game.
                    Yes, that's right. It's what I meant. Well, I bought a used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 GB, 8gb, video card - decent deal - card looks brand new. I just hope it wasn't used for mining - the seller was an older gent, seemed okay and assured me it wasn't used for mining.
                    I got this card because of my Linux use and I wanted to try AMD - I've posted on it for a while but had no experience and said I was contemplating trying it. I haven't completed my build yet, though. So far, I have an AMD Ryzen R7 2700 (I originally planned on getting the 2700X but a one-day discount at Amazon, resulted in a spontaneous purchase.). I hope that I made the right move.

I also have 16GB of memory, so need to decide on a case and mobo (and which form factor to go with) and get a PSU (again, not sure if it will be ATX or SFX).
                    It will be interesting to see how the experience is with Linux using a Radeon card. I want to try a bit of gaming just to see...

Comment

Working...
                    X