No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 590 Linux Benchmarks, 18-Way NVIDIA/AMD Gaming Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Michael. Really useful benchmarks.

Comment

I been sayin it for decades, but you -have- to benchmark at the settings you play at. Period. Nothing else is going to tell you what you can expect to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Your price for GTX 1060 is off. It skews all perf/price graphs
        Yeah, the 1060 6GB is only around 250 USD for a decent one. The RX 580 8GB bottoms out at the benchmarked price, but I’d opt for one of the 220 USD cost ones for better quality. The RX 590 is gouged now, so it’s out of the question.

That doesn’t change the results, but it does make the competition a bit closer.

Comment

For me, frames/s/W is important. But so is price:
          Price ($) Frames/s/W Price/(frames/s/W)
          RX560 80? 0,20 400,00
          RX580 209 0,25 836,00
          RX590 279 0,24 1162,50
          RX Vega 56 409 0,31 1319,35
          GTX 1070 339 0,40 847,50
          GTX 1070 Ti 449 0,47 955,32
          (Data randomly selected from Rise of Tomb Raider, 3840x2160, Lowest, no AA, Geothermal Valley results.)

Edit So value-wise, for me, RX580 and GTX 1070 are on the same level, just different performance-and-cost alternatives. (I hate messing with closed source drivers, and the lock-in those bring, so NVIDIA is not an option, but still an interesting comparison for me.)
          Last edited by bitnick; 09 December 2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Michael - if possible, could you add Counter-strike: Global Offensive benchmarks into the mix next time you do a big set of tests like this? I'd really love to know how performance varies between cards. There's another recent thread where an AMD, GNU/Linux user reported getting poor performance in CS:GO compared to when they run it on Windows, while an NVIDIA user was saying it ran great on both.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              Michael - if possible, could you add Counter-strike: Global Offensive benchmarks into the mix next time you do a big set of tests like this? I'd really love to know how performance varies between cards. There's another recent thread where an AMD, GNU/Linux user reported getting poor performance in CS:GO compared to when they run it on Windows, while an NVIDIA user was saying it ran great on both.
              It/GNOME has a bug that thinks CS:GO when launched is unresponsive and that ends up causing a performance hit unless manually clicking out of it, which is why CS:GO isn't tested anymore until that bug is resolved with GNOME/csgo.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Marketing people tell you that RX590 and RX 570 are not intended for 4K gaming. Here RX 590 has 70 fps in many games and RX 570 would have 10 fps less so both are good for 4K gaming.
                And one would have to choose lowest quality settings and use very expensive CPU for it. It's just not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It/GNOME has a bug that thinks CS:GO when launched is unresponsive and that ends up causing a performance hit unless manually clicking out of it, which is why CS:GO isn't tested anymore until that bug is resolved with GNOME/csgo.
                  OK, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    Wow the Rx 580 and Rx 590 really dominate the performance per dollar metrics. Seems that's where the smart money is spent.
                    Really? I can buy a used GTX 1070 for $100 more than a used RX 580 (8GB version). Which is the better buy?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Marketing people tell you that RX590 and RX 570 are not intended for 4K gaming. Here RX 590 has 70 fps in many games and RX 570 would have 10 fps less so both are good for 4K gaming.
                      The GTX 1070 is better for 4K gaming than either of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X