A Few Kernel Patches & New Firmware Have The Radeon RX 590 Working On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Kernel Patches & New Firmware Have The Radeon RX 590 Working On Linux

Phoronix: A Few Kernel Patches & New Firmware Have The Radeon RX 590 Working On Linux

Last month when the AMD Radeon RX 590 launched, it wasn't working on Linux to much surprise considering it's another Polaris refresh. Today there are new AMDGPU DRM kernel patches and firmware/microcode files that do allow the RX 590 now to work properly under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And so far blocked by stability issues under load... Any GL/Vulkan game is currently causing GPU hangs.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      And so far blocked by stability issues under load... Any GL/Vulkan game is currently causing GPU hangs.
      Uh, oh

Comment

I want to ask. Why would a simple refresh (which is basically the same as the previous card with just the PCI device ID changed and maybe some new firmware) cause issues?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I want to ask. Why would a simple refresh (which is basically the same as the previous card with just the PCI device ID changed and maybe some new firmware) cause issues?
          Looking like there were PowerPlay/power management changes that happened... It's not an issue in RadeonSI/RADV as I didn't have stability issues when running with amdgpu.dpm=0.

Tried running just now while forcing the high power profile among the other pp tunables in sysfs, but still getting hangs.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Polaris 30 (RX 590) is based on a 12nm node, contrary to 14 nm node used for Polaris 20 (RX 570/580). So, I guess it is not a simple refresh.

Comment

Michael, which kernel do you tried use? I note that Kernel 4.20 was be really big disaster for my Vega 56 GPU until commit 94f371cb7394 or package 4.20.0-0.rc4.git2.1.fc30.x86_64 on Fedora Rawhide.

Comment

Originally posted by mv.gavrilov View Post

Michael, which kernel do you tried use? I note that Kernel 4.20 was be really big disaster for my Vega 56 GPU until commit 94f371cb7394 or package 4.20.0-0.rc4.git2.1.fc30.x86_64 on Fedora Rawhide.
                I was using 4.21 WIP kernel from a few days ago that I was testing my other Radeon cards fine... Trying with latest 4.21 WIP branch that has these patches now plus a few others to see, otherwise will try patching a stock 4.20 kernel.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

It might be worth testing the 580 on your compiled kernel. See if it hangs, too.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Uh, oh
                    The truck have started to move.

Comment

Working...
                    X