AMDGPU FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Is Set To Land For Linux 4.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    I've heard people hate on them, but have you tried using one for a longer period of time?
    from 1.8 meters? i usually sit much closer
    Last edited by pal666; 30 November 2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
      I'm pretty sure it's a political thing and Nvidia could support VESA Adaptive Sync tomorrow
      this doesn't mean nouveau can do it

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
        So does this work if you have something thats not very Linux-y, like having 2 Monitors?
        this works per monitor, though your compositor can always sync two monitors to same rate
        Last edited by pal666; 30 November 2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecampos View Post
          All but two of Samsung's 2018 monitor lineup are curved, other manufacturers often have a couple models.
          Samsung's thrown so much money into the curved thing hype that they just can't step back that soon. I bet they have huge depots of curved screen glasses, curved mainboards, curved plastic frames, curved buttons, curved cables, curved remote controls, curved everythings to sell out that even their curved employees are forced to sleep in a curved bed unless they have sold out all that stuff to their curved customers.

Seriously, ok, you have a point, until Samsung produces mostly curved displays, there'll be no big problems in finding a curved model that suits your needs. Still, other brands aren't following Samsung practices, despite they do have a few curved models too.

Problem is curved screens make sense only if they are big enough. They were invented for the cinema and the cinemascope aspect ratio back in the fifties. They were never intended for small places like a living room, let alone a PC seat. A 27" curved display is at best the same as a flat one, at worst ideal only for your goldfish in its bowl, if you place it over your keyboard.
          Last edited by lucrus; 27 December 2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
            True, but who knows, maybe once it's in place for Intel and AMD it's easy to port to Nouveau?
            you have long chain of wishful thinking there

Comment

Originally posted by JordanL View Post

It should be a little more polished than the existing pro driver implementation. There are still some deltas between Windows and Linux support for Freesync, but they're being looked at for upcoming improvements. Having the proper support in DRM is the first step that can be used as a building block for further improvements.
              The two limitations from https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/fa...eSync-on-Linux that I'm most interested are:
              1) "In multi-display configurations, FreeSync will NOT be engaged (even if both FreeSync displays are identical)"
              2) Freesync only being supported in a *very* limited number of games.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post

The two limitations from https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/fa...eSync-on-Linux that I'm most interested are:
                1) "In multi-display configurations, FreeSync will NOT be engaged (even if both FreeSync displays are identical)"
                These restrictions are official restrictions from AMD for their current proprietary stack. However, the open source stack is a completely different story. I'm very sure that we will get the "real thing", including multi-monitor and general purpose async.

Btw, the current limited list of games is not even correct. You can use async with far more games as tested by Michael a year ago: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nc-linux&num=3
                Last edited by ryad; 01 December 2018, 05:47 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ryad View Post

These restrictions are official restrictions from AMD for their current proprietary stack. However, the open source stack is a completely different story. I'm very sure that we will get the "real thing", including multi-monitor and general purpose async.

Btw, the current limited list of games is not even correct. You can use async with far more games as tested by Michael a year ago: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nc-linux&num=3
                  I definitely hope so - I'd love to get a freesync monitor if those two things aren't issues with the open source implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post

There are no specific limitations with the adaptive sync implementation which limits to multi-monitor. However, the current implementation of userspace with X has a limitation that the window must be directly flipping by the present extension, and the client must be covering the entire X screen for that to work. So really this means that for userspace with X most applications will be limited to freesync with a single monitor currently. That should hopefully change for newer userspace implementations, and shouldn't require a kernel driver modification.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      this doesn't mean nouveau can do it
                      It doesn't mean it can't either. It means the hardware is ready, so the implementation depends on software and firmware.

Comment

Working...
                      X