A Radeon RX 590 Workaround For Linux But With Abysmal Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    "But still a disappointment for this launch of a Polaris refresh card being botched for Linux users and not even knowing about the Linux driver state until buying a retail card."

But latest and old intel and nvidia graphics works fine always

Who pays the piper calls the tune.
    Yeah, true. Dunno about NVIDIA, but Intel's GPU drivers have always worked well for me, with little to no problems. I use Arch Linux, update to newer kernel versions, and oh look it's still stable, performant and supports almost all of the features it can.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      "But still a disappointment for this launch of a Polaris refresh card being botched for Linux users and not even knowing about the Linux driver state until buying a retail card."

But latest and old intel and nvidia graphics works fine always

Who pays the piper calls the tune.
      This is apples and oranges, at least with nvidia. Are you comparing nvidia closed source proprietary driver with open source AMDGPU? Compare instead with closed source AMDGPU-PRO driver. Or compare AMDGPU with Nouveau, and then tell me which one works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Yeah, true. Dunno about NVIDIA, but Intel's GPU drivers have always worked well for me, with little to no problems. I use Arch Linux, update to newer kernel versions, and oh look it's still stable, performant and supports almost all of the features it can.
        As i recall, Intel had a whole bunch of stability problems when Skylake came out, much like Raven has had. Though they certainly seem to have fewer issues than AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          This is apples and oranges, at least with nvidia. Are you comparing nvidia closed source proprietary driver with open source AMDGPU? Compare instead with closed source AMDGPU-PRO driver. Or compare AMDGPU with Nouveau, and then tell me which one works fine.
          LOL, i had a chance to compare with closed source fglrx driver. You know, that is when you had to wait 2 months before upgrading distro just because busy people at amd haven't found time to support relatevely new kernel. And why you're suggesting to compare with nouveau? NVidia has nothing to do with this piece of shit.
          Face it, AMD just doesn't care about linux gpu experience at all. They could test their new polaris before launch. Heck, they could just sent sample to some guy from kernel team 1 month before launch and have day-1 patch. They just decided not to. "Linux? That 1% idiots who will praise us for their beloved opensource Valve-developed driver? We can piss on their heads and they will thank us. They are smart, they will figure out some excuse why they have to wait. Our priority now is playstation 5 APU".

Comment

The performance may not be good, but at least the power consumption should be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
              The performance may not be good, but at least the power consumption should be amazing.
              That is like buying 5GHz i9-9900k CPU and then to run capped at 1GHz, of course that would save power

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                LOL, i had a chance to compare with closed source fglrx driver. You know, that is when you had to wait 2 months before upgrading distro just because busy people at amd haven't found time to support relatevely new kernel.
                Wasn't 2 months but more really like 6 months lag, as that is required for proved stability and certification Quality does not happen every day anyway , businesses operate quarterly, semi-annually or annually or 3-6-12 scheme

Only security and non-sleeping gamers, needs fixes or perf optimizations more often - on daily basis or several per month or monthly

Even Google won't release new devices based on longterm 4.19 kernel so early, they would wait (could you guess how much) - at least 6 months again or 3 as very minimum if they are in hurry
                Last edited by dungeon; 30 November 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Is there a way to control the power states manually?

I know there is on nouveau, and I know that I can't take my GTX 770 from state 07 (lowest) to state 0f (highest) without first going through state 0a.

Comment

Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
                    Is there a way to control the power states manually?
                    Yes there is:

cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device
                    echo manual >power_dpm_force_performance_level
                    echo 1 >pp_dpm_mclk
                    echo 6 >pp_dpm_sclk

However, this setting is "forgotten" by the driver (and reset to "automatic") any time the resolution changes or when a display goes off/on, so it is a total PITA to use.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                      Yes there is:

cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device
                      echo manual >power_dpm_force_performance_level
                      echo 1 >pp_dpm_mclk
                      echo 6 >pp_dpm_sclk

However, this setting is "forgotten" by the driver (and reset to "automatic") any time the resolution changes or when a display goes off/on, so it is a total PITA to use.
                      This doesn't work when dpm=0.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X