X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    "But still a disappointment for this launch of a Polaris refresh card being botched for Linux users and not even knowing about the Linux driver state until buying a retail card."

But latest and old intel and nvidia graphics works fine always

Who pays the piper calls the tune.
    This is apples and oranges, at least with nvidia. Are you comparing nvidia closed source proprietary driver with open source AMDGPU? Compare instead with closed source AMDGPU-PRO driver. Or compare AMDGPU with Nouveau, and then tell me which one works fine.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    "But still a disappointment for this launch of a Polaris refresh card being botched for Linux users and not even knowing about the Linux driver state until buying a retail card."

But latest and old intel and nvidia graphics works fine always

Who pays the piper calls the tune.
    Yeah, true. Dunno about NVIDIA, but Intel's GPU drivers have always worked well for me, with little to no problems. I use Arch Linux, update to newer kernel versions, and oh look it's still stable, performant and supports almost all of the features it can.

Leave a comment:

• Xinkai
    replied
    The workaround works with my XFX card. Thanks to Nate for the discovery and sharing of this.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

True but the gap is not like Polaris to Vega. .... He could also modifiy the vBIOS to set it to ref clock. Don't know if the tools to do this are allready supporting RX590.
    I am talking that all chips are different and that it is not first time that dpm have stability problems... see a bug from years before, these cards also couldn't start with fab OC:

Sapphire Nitro r7 370 worked fine on FGLRX, but failed with radeon dpm with default clocks... and now another nitros, even that fatgirl

Whats the culprit?
    Culprit is as people wanna hack & roll, meanwhile one harassment free letter typo somewhere is enough to break everything
    Last edited by dungeon; 29 November 2018, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well, nothing is entirely new

Whatever that have different pci id, is considered different.

As this card is OC a bit more than referent RX 590 clocks, maybe it would help if Michael could patch kernel driver to force card to start at referent clocks
    True but the gap is not like Polaris to Vega. .... He could also modifiy the vBIOS to set it to ref clock. Don't know if the tools to do this are allready supporting RX590.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Yes it is new, but it is a "refresh" not entirely new.
    Well, nothing is entirely new

Whatever that have different pci id, is considered different.

As this card model is OC a bit more than referent RX 590 clocks, maybe it would help if Michael could patch kernel driver to force card to start at referent clocks

It is not first time that driver need temporal quirks like that
    Last edited by dungeon; 29 November 2018, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

RX 590 isn't overclocked RX 580, it is entirely different asic

Various RX590 comes on a cards differently setuped and clocked than referent RX 590 one, and that is an issue here it seems

Stable VS Unstable Linux experience difference, could be even cos of one letter typo somewhere
    could be worse expensive/expansive ...About new ASIC ...mh not so sure - yes not just overclocked but according to this german article:

Polaris 30 has same transistorcount and the same die size only the structure was changed 14LPP -> 12LP compared to Polaris 20.
    Yes it is new, but it is a "refresh" not entirely new.

So I would have expected less issues - since it is not a complete new plattform.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Shouldn't the card use pp instead of dpm?

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    LOL it's still enough to play those games at 4K.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    mhh...maybe I'm thinking not deep enough..but in a first approach RX590 seems to be an overclocked RX580.
    RX 590 isn't overclocked RX 580, it is entirely different asic

Various RX590 comes on a cards differently setuped and clocked than referent RX 590 one, and that is an issue here it seems

How can it make such difficulties to provide stable Linux experiance? Whats the culprit?
    Stable VS Unstable Linux experience difference, could be even cos of one letter typo somewhere
    Last edited by dungeon; 29 November 2018, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X