A Look At The AMDGPU+RADV Gaming Performance Boost With Linux 4.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The AMDGPU+RADV Gaming Performance Boost With Linux 4.20

Phoronix: A Look At The AMDGPU+RADV Gaming Performance Boost With Linux 4.20

With the interest coming about today from a RADV tweak after bisecting the Linux 4.20 kernel speed-up for this open-source Radeon Vulkan driver with the AMDGPU DRM driver, here are some benchmarks from Linux 4.16 through 4.20 looking at the performance on Polaris and Vega graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, did you specifically do these tests with other presets to make it impossible to compare with recent results?

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
      Michael, did you specifically do these tests with other presets to make it impossible to compare with recent results?
      Nope, was running into some hangs on 4.20 and didn't have the time to analyze them further so skipped a number of the settings.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

These gains are spectacular. It makes me optimistic that it may be able actually reach OpenGL parity in the coming months, if this change didn't already do the trick.

Comment

Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Comment

I was actually able to get my Sapphire Nitro R9 390 to partially work with the latest 4.20 from git, which was a welcome relief. I couldn't use amdgpu.dpm or amdgpu.dc but at least it booted. The r8168 driver wouldn't compile with it though so I couldn't really do any further testing.

Comment

Awesome, finally vega starts to stretch it's legs.

Wonder how much quicker amdvlk gets with kernel 4.20

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                Awesome, finally vega starts to stretch it's legs.

Wonder how much quicker amdvlk gets with kernel 4.20
                inb4 spectre mitigations for GPUs destroy performance! :P

Comment

Working...
                X