Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Vulkan Driver Gets A Significant Performance Optimization For Pre-4.20 Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Vulkan Driver Gets A Significant Performance Optimization For Pre-4.20 Kernels

Phoronix: Radeon Vulkan Driver Gets A Significant Performance Optimization For Pre-4.20 Kernels

Fresh out of our Radeon Vulkan Driver Benchmarks: AMDVLK 2018.4.2 vs. AMDGPU-PRO 18.40 vs. Mesa 18.2/19.0, RADV driver co-founder Bas Nieuwenhuizen has posted a patch to help further the performance of the Mesa RADV driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The RADV change is algining large buffers to the fragment size.

Comment

Good stuff. 15% performance increase on an already fairly well performing driver is nothing to sneeze at. It will be interesting to see if it affects more than just Talos Principle.

Comment

Wow, that should close the gap to AMDVLK in the cases where it was still slower

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Good stuff. 15% performance increase on an already fairly well performing driver is nothing to sneeze at. It will be interesting to see if it affects more than just Talos Principle.
          I agree. This could be enough of a difference to consistently outperform the Windows drivers, and for certain GPUs to consistently outperform whichever Nvidia GPU they're normally directly competing against (for example, the 580 vs 1060, or Vega 64 vs 1080).

Comment

According to DXVK's dev linux 4.20 doesn't give him a performance improvement, so unfortunately this change might not affect DXVK gaming.

Comment

Right when I was kind of thinking RADV was getting left behind... boom, patch. That is probably one of the best arguments for RADV, their ability move so rapidly. That said, I would love to see Windows vulkan performance... I would image that is the one to beat.

Comment

15% in certain workloads for changing 2 LOC. Not bad at all. I wonder if there is more headroom for such simple, yet effective optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                  Right when I was kind of thinking RADV was getting left behind... boom, patch. That is probably one of the best arguments for RADV, their ability move so rapidly. That said, I would love to see Windows vulkan performance... I would image that is the one to beat.
                  It is more proper to say, how with open source news moves more rapidly

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                  According to DXVK's dev linux 4.20 doesn't give him a performance improvement, so unfortunately this change might not affect DXVK gaming.
                  That is why it is usual to use "up to" safeguard wording So in at least in one case we spot 15%, but YMMV

Comment

Oh No! More Lemmings... i mean unapproved

Comment

Working...
                    X